2.8l kenne bell tips

RADARB8

Established Member
Hey guys, brand new to the cobra scene, I recently bought an 03 cobra with a 2.8 and mammoth manifold and a few other goodies. Car has just been retuned and made 694/592. Car feels strong but honestly doesn't feel THAT fast. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light and tell me what I should do to make this car build boost a little quicker. I believe the car has a 6 lb lower and a 3.5" supercharger pulley. Should I change the pulley configuration, change the rear end gear, please anyone with any tips I'm all ears!

SVT GI

Established Member
WOW a 6lb lower?? Does the car have long tubes? I underestimated my Mammoth by putting a 4lb lower/3.1 upper (race) 4lb/3.65 (street). On the race tune the boost kept climbing and will do 30lbs easy. Even on my street tune I have might have to lower boost to keep pump gas.

Anyway it probably doesn't "feel" that fast because for some reason your TQ is maybe a little low, which is odd considering you have a 6lb lower. Mine right off the hit is over 620 tq at 3K RPM then climbs to 650. The seat of the pants feel for the street is going to be your tq. Still very good numbers you have, maybe its very conservative on timing.

If you can give tune specifics and maybe post your graph it might make the picture a little clearer.

GodStang

Established Member
YA your tq is about 100 low so that may be why it does not feel that fast. Also saying it does not feel that fast really does not say anything is wrong. Do you have any track times? Also changing the rear gear will help you rev faster but you will blow the tires off. Do you have the dyno graph?

RADARB8

Established Member
I bought the car with all these mods and unfortunately the guy that had it doesnt know what the shop put in it, he kind of dropped it off and said "make it fast" so I am having to really do my research to see what I have gotten myself into. I will post the graph asap and see what you guys think. The car has a 20 psi gauge in it so that isnt helping either since it pegs at WOT. I bumped off with a buddy of mine from a second gear kick on the highway and hes running a smaller KB and making almost 90hp less then me and we ran neck and neck. I am wondering if maybe the centerforce thats in the car is not able to hold the torque and maybe its slipping. The car feels like it has no balls down low. Just got the car so I havent gotten a chance to drag it to the strip yet to see but I swear this car should feel like a monster and its not.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Sup B,
Glad to see you joined up. I was doing a little digging for you as well and found your thread.

The 2.8 Mammoth is a whole new animal to me as well, so hopefully some of the experienced guys will chime in on here.

Also, don't forget to mention that you're running meth and according to Kenne Bell's website a 3.5" upper and a 6lb lower should be netting you 26.5lbs of boost. After looking at that, we need to double check you're lower because I don't think it was that big. Maybe a 4lb'er is what is on it??

RADARB8

Established Member
after jf4boogie and I put the car up in the air to change out the catback we did some measuring and found that the car has an 8.5" lower and according to KB this setup should produce 24-24.5 psi, I would like to add that the car does have methanol injection as well. The car also has a mac pro chamber mid pipe on it still running stock manifolds too. There is a ridiculous rattle coming from the "box" and I am hoping the bafling that is rattling inside is maybe killing the power if its distorted or bent so to negatively affect exhaust flow, I am looking to replace the unit with an Xpipe either catted or offroad and see how the car does on the dyno. I just dont understand with a new tune with beautiful a/f the car is only producing 697/592 at sea level on a 95 degree day

JasonW

2xScrewed Vert
Established Member
It may and may not apply, but I'll throw this out there.

Bought my cobra bout a month ago. Already had a 2.2l KB on it. According to the guy i purchased from, it should have been at 21-22psi boost. Strapped it to a dyno and it pegged 26.2psi. Mentioned it to the seller a few days later and he claimed he hadn't changed anything (pulley wise).

Bout a week later i ran across a post on how much exhaust flow can affect it. The reason this happened to me is because the previous owner didn't like the sound of the off-road X pipe, and therefor put the stock h-pipe back on (4cats). Him being unaware that it was going to raise the boost with the pulley setup being run.

luckily i caught this 12 hours after picking up the car. Get it to a tuner and put it on the dyno and see EXACTLY what the car is doing and go from there.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
it might not fell quick due to wheel spin? are you getting any ?

my car stock felt like it was pulling harder ,when i got the eaton ported with a 9.0 lower and 2.75 upper pwr. was 491/571 20 psi. i doint run that combo long good thing cause JMS had 21 deg timimg on it come it find out not good ,felt slower on the road cause it wouldn.t stick and hook. now with my 2.6h combo 19 psi 603/525 on 93 641/557 on 104.no hook with 3.73 have the shift as quick as possible > sucks going 3.27s i got 10.5x17 with crappy nitto 315s

RADARB8

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I honestly don't feel like the car spins and if it is I honestly feel no wheel hop or even the car drifting around on WOT. I am gonna get an off road xpipe on it ASAP. Until. then I will limp her around town. If my problem isn't exhaust flow related I am completely out of ideas. I will find out how much
timing is on this current tune and report back along with my graph. Thanks again gents

RADARB8

Established Member
kb boost a pump and twin pumps and 60 lb injectors if im not mistaken, I HATE not knowing exactly what I have but I guess thats what happens when you guy a modded car with a clueless owner

Users who are viewing this thread