2.9 or 3.4 whipple

breoland

Established Member
Im sure I poseted this once before but i am at the point where i am so undecided between the 2. I am never going to use race gas and never going to go more than 18lbs of boost. So is the 3.4 a waste.

I already bought the k member and not sure to go an order the spacer kit for the blower.
I really like the shelby fuel rails and not sure if the work with the 2.9
I'd almost feel safe going with the ford racing 80lb inj as to the bosch72.

also planning on getting the dynatech long tubes.

car is going to be a weeknd car, I have a set of bogarts for it when i het the strip but i am not going to put a roll bar in it

what do you guys think?

ap3x

La Flama Blanca
Established Member
What is your power goal and what kind of times are you trying to run? Figure out your goals and that will help you decide between the two. I say if you have the k-member go ahead with the 3.4L, you say it now but later on down the road your going to want more and its nice knowing you have it on tap...or you could go with the KB 3.6LC :coolman: just another option

Edit: Also with the 3.4L you will be able to make more power with less boost and help keep the heat down.

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The Shelby rails are made by Metco, and they will fit the 2.9L or the 3.4L blowers. For what it sounds like you want, I would definitely go with the 2.9L blower, the only problem is, the 80lb injectors will not be able to be used, even with stock rails. I would suggest using 72 lb injectors for this reason. If you are set on using the 80's, then the 3.4L may be your best choice, but I am unsure of the clearance with the Metco/Shelby rails, 80's and the 3.4L blower.

Last edited:

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
my install on my 2.9 was finished last night, ive only driven about 40 miles but i love the setup so far. it makes plenty of power for what i need.

Coonsnake

Established Member
You can do the 2.9 with the shorter 60lb ford racing injectors. 60lbs should be good up too around 720-730 with the right tune, with 18 lbs of boost probly be around or a lil under that ballpark

Users who are viewing this thread