2.9 Whipple question

whitesnake86

Established Member
I'm currently running my stock ported eaton on the stock 08 lower with a custom 2.2 pulley at 16lbs from steigemeier and pushed 621 whp with dynatech longtubes and 3" exhaust no cats, I also got 72lb injectors and a bap.

Now to the point, with the mods I have what else do I need to get 725-750whp with a 2.9 Whipple? What pulley combo etc and is it easy to do on 93 octane?

Blackmax

Established Member
Still risky business running over 700 h.p. on 93, I run 94 and still put in a couple of bottles of octane boost. I would say 680 ish would be a safer number.

whitesnake86

Established Member
@scotsam. nice numbers, what boost did that make? and was that with the stock lower??....

but yea if its too risky to push those numbers i can always run two pulleys if its easy to swap them and have a race tune for the track with some octane boost or race fuel. but if possible I'd like to only run one pulley and tune

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm over 700 with same headers and injector you are running. L&M dual 72 TB and Whipple 123 intake. 3.25 upper and puts out 720/668. On 93 octane with no issues. Have a race tune for the 3.0 pulley but never use it. Pulleys are a 5 min swap. HP will determine by how aggressive the tuning is. I'm pulling 16-17 lbs depending on temp. Hit 18 one night was about 40 * out and cut gas in 3rd when the gauges start flashing. I wouldn't go over 17lbs on straight pump.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I'm running 18-18.5psi with the stock lower. Lund tuned it for 93 said it was safe. Honestly i dont think you could beat this thing hard enough on the street to hurt the motor. When its cold you roll on it to pass in 4th at 55-60 and your drifting by them. That's with rear suspension work too!

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
That said I havnt seen that boost number on the street.(with an aftermarket guage) The boost shown on my dyno sheet now that I'm looking at it is 18.9psi. The Lund tune is awesome by the way. The car drives more docile than stock till about 1/2 throttle and then the gates of hell pretty much open up!

whitesnake86

Established Member
Scotsam, your car sounds really good with the 3.0" pulley. I guess it's in the tune. Maybe your tune is slightly less aggressive for safety then dirtyo running 16-17lbs. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Kurgan tuned mine in the past so I will probably stick with him. Would be nice to be able to just run the 3.0" and have two separate tunes for street and track. But either way I'd get gauges to make sure the boost levels and air fuel always stay safe... your car really sounds like a beast though, I can't wait to have the extra 100hp at my feet. And its nice it will be at about the same level I'm boosting now

whitesnake86

Established Member
That's pretty good, so I see you're in Utah. I see that makes a big difference with ait density? Seeing as you got a 15% lower paired with the 3.25 upper making 16lbs

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Altitude cripples you if not watched. I have seperate tunes for the 3.0 pulley. Just don't mess with it until I redo the fuel system. I already know once that's done I'm going to butcher the car up and start going overboard so it keeps me from going crazy. I'm maxing the fuel system with my race tune at 16.5-17 lbs. The 3.0 would probably have me at 19 lbs maybe higher on a cool night. I'm at sea level so I watch the motor closely. Some 40 degree nights feel like there is a 50 shot hitting the motor.

whitesnake86

Established Member
Scotsam, what's your fuel system looking like so far, I mean What's the duty cycle of your injectors at with your current set up? But yea dynojets tend to read a bjt higher

whitesnake86

Established Member
I'm at 60% or so. If he said you got room and can do 21lbs I'm assuming your maybe around 85ish give or take... I just wanted to have an idea how much room I got to go with 72lb injectors and a bap

Users who are viewing this thread