2.9 whipple suporting mods ?

hey11101

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra and planning pulling the trigger on 2.9 whipple crusher system what supporting mods do I NEED? so far planning to add

jlt high boost intake
injectors (what size and is it needed right away?
eventually want to go e-85 should I convert it now or later when I get used to the power
spark plugs ?
pumps ?
tune of course

those of you that made the upgrade how much money did u guys drop roughly on the process ?

greenflash00

Established Member
I believe the crusher system uses its own intake and tb system so you can take the jlt high boost off.
Injectors: I would go with 80's for now. 105's if cash allows. They will allow for e85 up into the 700's. 60's are pushing it for e85 but are sufficient for pump gas.

Plugs: TR6's gapped at .028 is the norm

Fuel System/Pumps: Dual Walbro 465's in a full return style system would be all the pump you'll ever need. (overkill for 93 even). If you get the budget return setup that lethal offers you may want to upgrade the feed and return lines eventually too.

Also I don't think the 2.9 Whipple inlets will clear the stock fuel rails without a lot of grinding so you may want to figure in some aftermarket fuel rails as well. Not positive on that though.

At any rate plan on spending 7k on a budget or 8-9k in an all out build with all of the ideal supporting mods.

Hope this helps :beer:

hey11101

Established Member
yea I been researching all day yesterday how much everything cost and what I need, I was hoping it would be closer to 7k but I see that it will be 8k-10k if I let the builder do it. Now I am debating if its even worth it because I will never get the money back when I sell the car( but then again I don't know how the car would feel with that power level and on top of that it would be my first "big build", all the time before I have done only basic bolt ons ). I think I just might put the car up for sale if it sells then go for c6z06 or viper if it doesn't sell dump the money into the build in the spring time.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I'm running a 2.9 on E85 - its a bad ass setup. I only wish the engine could handle the power its capable of making.

100 pound Injectors, SCT Big Air 3000 90mm Mass Air Flow Sensor, Return fuel system - fuel pressure regulator, Fuel lines, fuel rails, A BIG ASS fuel pump and compatible fuel hat!! Transmission upgrade, clutch, flywheel, ARP studs, 26 spline input shaft, rear end brace, rear end bushings, set of drag radials if you want any hope for traction, wide band O2 sensor and gauge, Fuel pressure gauge, Gauge Bezel.

I should really install a good set of subframe connectors too, I never did headers yet either. It was already making too much power - I'd recommend you keep it around 700RWHP, the stock pistons are the weakest link keep your WOT AFR's below 12.0, the E85 will allow you to run more timing.

And I highly suggest you learn to tune it yourself with PRP or something.... While tuning for WOT on a Dyno is easy, you'll spend thousands working out all the drivability bugs because very few shops can afford to take the time to fully calibrate the car. Unless of course all you care about it blowing it up at the track. It gets very finicky with E85 and that bigger blower until you take the time to work it all out in your tune. I'm still working out a few small bugs.

Your looking at easy 12K worth of parts and labor depending on how much you do yourself. Please do it right... don't blow up a beautiful 03/04.

Good luck.

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
if you were planning on doing a 2.3 whipple or tvs then you could get away with the basics. imo, i consider the crusher setup more of an "all out setup"
i wouldnt start this build without being willing to dump 10k+ (even more if your not doing the labor).
factor in the big fuel system, exhaust, transmission upgrades, cooling upgrades irs or solid axle upgrades, etc etc.

a local cobra to me made 815 on an oem cobra longblock with the 2.9 crusher, e85 and lots of boost. be prepared to dish out a lot.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
if you were planning on doing a 2.3 whipple or tvs then you could get away with the basics. imo, i consider the crusher setup more of an "all out setup"
i wouldnt start this build without being willing to dump 10k+ (even more if your not doing the labor).
factor in the big fuel system, exhaust, transmission upgrades, cooling upgrades irs or solid axle upgrades, etc etc.

a local cobra to me made 815 on an oem cobra longblock with the 2.9 crusher, e85 and lots of boost. be prepared to dish out a lot.

yah, I'm not running a crusher… there's really no point unless I put stronger internals in - mainly the pistons. Its tuned down as it is to keep the power around 700. The general consensus for stock internals is not exceeding 700 RWHP for longevity. Sure it will make 800+ but for how long?

OP - if your going to run a crusher and exceed 800+ RWHP, you will need to put stronger internals into your motor. Do it right!

My setup alone was 10K in supporting mods and I haven't gone into the motor yet. One of the most important things you can do to protect your investment is a good wide band - like NGK AFX. Always keep an eye on your AFR's especially when you run E85. E85 is a good investment also, because its so forgiving, but the variations in blends can really screw with your AFR's. Its nice to have the PRP package so you can adjust your stoichiometric AFR on the fly if you get a really shitty blend of E85. Lower blends just make you run rich, but can also decrease detonation resistance because there is more gas and less ethanol. If your tuned for a lower % blend of E85 like 75-80% and then happen to fill up with a 90% blend you will run leaner than you are tuned for.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
When we get into 10-12K for set up for 2.9 isn't that the range for turbo set up ? or I am off on this price ?

The supporting mods for a 2.9L whipple will be very similar to a turbo… either way your pushing ALOT more boost/air volume into that engine, so the fuel delivery modifications are extensive to align with the amount air. In any case you will need to likely go to a return style fuel system. Either way you have to upgrade the stock transmission to a 26 spline input shaft, upgrade your clutch and flywheel, install a rear end brace, bushings, drag radials and prey your axles half shafts don't break.

I think in general the hardware for a turbo is more… the special headers/manifolds etc… where as a blower your just swapping the blower. So naturally turbos will just cost more in general. Turbos are way more efficient though.

Users who are viewing this thread