2.9 whipple vs 3.4 Whipple Crusher

MG0h3

Established Member
Yea I plan to run 10:5 compression with heads and cams . I want to run a 3.4 with 30 pounds . Would it be better to run a short block or long ?

A short block refers to the rotating assembly in a block (bottom end) minus the heads and intake (top end). Long block is a fully assembled engine with heads (with or without intake).

MG0h3

Established Member
Dude really....

2.9 crusher moves a lot of air. You’ll need a fully built engine to max it

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

procharger

Established Member
No the block won't make a difference. Stock lowers will get destroyed. Your best bet is to go with an Innovators West damper with the metco ring (even if stock size). Supposably studding the crank helps prevent the snout breaking off too but I can't find any real data that supports it been better or worse.
I believe a stock lower can be used as long as the bushing do not show any damage and or not 10+ years old. I replaced mine with block plugs then pressed the snout into the plug, it provides a very nice tight fit.
Screenshot_2018-02-08-20-59-13-1.jpg
Screenshot_2018-02-08-20-59-42-1.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Are they gonna be coming out with a gen 3 for the 3.4 whipple
Yes! They took a while to announce it, but any Whipple 3.4 that was ordered from Thanksgiving on out will have the Gen 3 rotor pack. You'll be able to tell because the serial number on the casing will have a "w3".

I ordered my Gen 3 3.4 and received it around the new year. Casing on the outside looks the same as the previous gen 2. Supposed to be less power to turn, cooler IATs and more POWA!
f239cb0f4e7833590083ea7e9ed382db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sebastion

Established Member
Yes! They took a while to announce it, but any Whipple 3.4 that was ordered from Thanksgiving on out will have the Gen 3 rotor pack. You'll be able to tell because the serial number on the casing will have a "w3".

I ordered my Gen 3 3.4 and received it around the new year. Casing on the outside looks the same as the previous gen 2. Supposed to be less power to turn, cooler IATs and more POWA!
View attachment 1466840

Cool nice to know appreciate it man. How much more power did you put with the new gen3

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Cool nice to know appreciate it man. How much more power did you put with the new gen3
It's still in the box, Lol! I've got the ARP2000 head bolts, RXT1200 clutch and a ton of other supporting mods...but still need a few more things until it's on and guzzling e85...

The struggle is real. Expensive shit...

MG0h3

Established Member

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Sebastian,

I would hope my setup makes 800-850 all day. I'm still stock block though.

I'm going with:

Completely stock motor
ARP2000 head bolts
Whipple gen 3 3.4 Crusher
Fore return with twin 465s
ID1300 injectors
ARH 1 7/8 headers off-road x
Stock caged lower pulley ONLY

Looking to run no less than 23-25+ psi. Full time E85 setup. No pump.

Then build a higher compression motor down the road.

If you're built motor, 3.4 would be the way to go IMO. 2.9 is a great blower as well, but you may be pushing it out of its efficiency range at 25+psi and generating alot of heat with a built motor.

Seems alot of guys are going to tell you alot of different things, but a general consensus (including that of a few whipple techs/engineers) is...2.9 for stock motor 3.4 for built motor.

2.9 can and will exceed your power expectations with built block, you'll just be working it harder than you would a 3.4. Just call whipple and ask...or talk to 3.4 OWNERS. Not 3.4 sideline haters.

Don't fear the 3.4. Unless running pump. And don't mess with aftermarket non-caged lowers.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Thats odd that the case isn't revised like the 2.9
According to whipple, the case already accepts the new lobe profile, so they didn't have to radically redesign it like the 2.9...I was skeptical and asked alot of questions as well...

Sebastion

Established Member
Sebastian,

I'm going with:

Completely stock motor
ARP2000 head bolts
ID1300 injectors

If you're built motor, 3.4 would be the way to go IMO. 2.9 is a great blower as well, but you may be pushing it out of its efficiency range at 25+psi and generating alot of heat with a built motor.

Seems alot of guys are going to tell you alot of different things, but a general consensus (including that of a few whipple techs/engineers) is...2.9 for stock motor 3.4 for built motor.

2.9 can and will exceed your power expectations with built block, you'll just be working it harder than you would a 3.4. Just call whipple and ask...or talk to 3.4 OWNERS. Not 3.4 sideline haters.

Don't fear the 3.4. Unless running pump. And don't mess with aftermarket non-caged lowers.

Nice keep me posted on your set up man. Yeah i do plan on buying the gen3 3.4 whipple . I’m going with mmr 5.0 stoker with the boss block which it says it adds .2 liters more, I want to run 10.9 to 1 compression with 25 pounds of boost . Not sure if it’s to much with the compression I want to run.

Sebastion

Established Member
Sebastian,

I'm going with:

Completely stock motor
ARP2000 head bolts
ID1300 injectors

Nice keep me posted on your set up man. Yeah i do plan on buying the gen3 3.4 whipple . I’m going with mmr 5.0 stoker with the boss block which it says it adds .2 liters more, I want to run 10.9 to 1 compression with 25 pounds of boost . Not sure if it’s to much with the compression I want to run.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I'm no pro with stroker setups, but the compression seems a bit higher than the usual 10:1-10.5:1 range. That 10.9:1 ratio with 25+ PSI will be INSANE! If possible, alot of guys look into having the crank studded before it's all put together. Lot of inertia load high compression/big blower.

Users who are viewing this thread