2.93 pulley to 2.8 pulley any difference?

timlucken

Established Member
My car currently has a 2.93 pulley with a 90mm idler.
I was thinking of going to a 2.8 pulley.
will this help me out or is it a big waste of time??

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
you will gain maybe a little more tq and thats it. No hp gains. Keep in mind, the harder you spin an eaton, ported or unported, it will heat soak faster and that number you put up on the dyno, is not what you will be rolling around with. There both solid setups. I had a 3.10, 2.93, 2.80, 2.76, 2lb lower, 4lb lower, every combo you can think of.

stangfreak

Established Member
I ended up with a 2.80 upper. Even put back the pulley cover. No need for the extra idler. Reichard racing ultra grip 2.80 and a gater back belt. That combo was the best and made a procharger sound at idle bc of the belt and that style pulley. Cheesy I know lol. But it sounded cool. My car always made less power than the rest of the cobras. I made 460 rwhp and I think 478 rwtq.

I then did a ported eaton and added a 4 lb lower. Car made 510 rwhp 540 rwtq. It made 560 rwtq on one pull then the second the power just dropped. It was pointless. After a certain rpm, you could see the car stopped pulling. It was just too much IMO. I dropped it down to a 2 lb lower and the car for me, performed better. 16 lbs was the sweet spot. Heck, venomous john ran a 10.80 with that combo and the clutch was slipping lol. This was before e85. He had an apten ported eaton.

People will tell you to run a 2.76 6lb lower. If it's ported, omg, 2.50 upper 25 lb lower. I'm just giving you advice from my experience with these cars and from what the original cobras owners taught me back in 03 04. Once you see more tq than hp you know your blower is over spun.

Does the eaton get the job done, sure. Even with it being over spun, yes. But that's one pass at the track then with a long cool down. Different than the streets. How many times have you heard my car is heat soaked. Lol. So why make it worse with more and more boost.

E85 and I guess the killer chiller will help. That wasn't around when I had my eaton. I went straight twin screw after. Sorry for the rant. Just advice that's all. We all have our own opinion on pulley setups. Enjoy the car

timlucken

Established Member
I can not find the Richard racing ultra grip in a 2.80, all they advertise now is 2.90 or 3.00.

big dad

Established Member
I'll tell you my experience running a RR aluminum pulley only on my car. They make a good product so I'm not bashing them, in fact, they stand behind their product. With that said, when I had one of their 2.93 pulleys on my 03 I was out one Sunday with my wife and datalogging, after 3-4 pulls all of a sudden it sounded like a rod(s) bearing had let go, a major pucker moment. I drove the car back home and the noise subsided somewhat but still sounded like ball bearings rattling around in a Mk. 5 shit can. After further inspection I found that the pulley had walked into the blower snout and was chewing up the material on both pieces. I called RR and tolod them what happened and they were very nice and sent me a new pulley in exchange for the old one, which btw I still have to this day.

Then I contacted Steigmeier and they said to send it in and they would fix it. They ended up cleaning up the snout and putting a new front seal in it and then installed a steel hub so I could interchange upper pulleys.

That was my experience, an aluminum pulley on a steel shaft, why take a chance when there is so much strain on that pulley when you're in boost. It's my understanding that the steel pulley or hub is pressed on with 8 tons of pressure, what do you think a soft aluminum pulley can sustain for pressure? Just my .02. Use your own judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread