2.93 pulley with no tune

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
I understand I need a tune, but money is real tight now. I have the pulley, can this be installed with no tune or is this not recommended.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
does anyone know if a Predator can be used to install a tune on one vehicle and still be able to datalog another vehicle??

if so, I could let you use the pulley tune that is on mine :idea:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
If you have any other mods, you'll blow up your engine without a tune.

That predator option is your best bet. maybe you could buy a used one.

FreSh03Gt

Established Member
I have a Superchips MaxMicro tuner #1724 for a 2004 cobra that i bought BRAND NEW and never used. Its got a tune for 2.93 pulley (so it says) I bought it for my pulley and ended up just getting a chip at Alternative.

So now it just sits in the corner of my office. Not sure how good (safe) the canned tune will be. But I could give it to you cheap. here is a link to the info

http://www.superchips.com/html/products/ford/Mustang/Cobra/MustangCobra.htm

Shoot me a PM if your interested.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
JB said:
does anyone know if a Predator can be used to install a tune on one vehicle and still be able to datalog another vehicle??
:

Yes, it can datalog another car even after it is installed on a unique pcm.

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
JB said:

if so, I could let you use the pulley tune that is on mine :idea:
thanks so much JB, what I will do is just save for a predator since I want to be able to restore the factory tune in case the vehicle has to go back to the dealer for warranty work. Thanks all for the advice. MCT ROCKS :rockon:

seanwr400

Established Member
Kiddk1 said:
thanks so much JB, what I will do is just save for a predator since I want to be able to restore the factory tune in case the vehicle has to go back to the dealer for warranty work. Thanks all for the advice. MCT ROCKS :rockon:
Not sure but I think they can tell that you had it flashed even if you restore the factory tune. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
seanwr400 said:
Not sure but I think they can tell that you had it flashed even if you restore the factory tune. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
I have also heard this, they can tell if they check.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Kiddk1 said:

I've heard nothing but rumors on this...no facts. I'm not sure.

As for the 2.93 pulley, you absolutely need a tune. You're A/F will be crazy lean without one.

...and throw a 2.76 on there!

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Kiddk1 said:

I don't think they can tell. There are many people who have done this and had their stuff checked out, and gotten warranty work done.

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
unit213 said:

As for the 2.93 pulley, you absolutely need a tune. You're A/F will be crazy lean without one.

cool thanks.

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
unit213 said:

I talked to one of our electrical engineers today at work and he said he highly doubts that it could be detected.

forgive the ignorance but what does a lower do and where does it go? For a daily driver I have heard that 2.93 is the safe one, plus I already have it.

Last edited:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
If you wanna do it right the FIRST time do this!
4lb Lower pulley + 3.1 upper.
I switched just for the time being from a 2.76 no lower to the for mentioned setup.
Big difference about a lb more boost all the time and top end boost drop isn't as bad as with just the 2.76.
If things are tight money wise just wait and do it right the first time.

JP :beer:

Last edited:

T.Bone

Established Member
I have talked to people that have put on a 2.93 Lightning pulley with no tune and have been fine, But I would not recommend you do this. It is a big investment and you are taking a chance blowing the motor if you get it to lean.

If you decide not to get the tune, at least pay for a dyno pull with A/F and see how bad it is before you decide to keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread