2 99's different temsioners

desertt5

Established Member
I now own 2 1999 Cobras. Today O noticed that the tensioners are different. Curious which one is truly a 99.

The wife's Vert that we have had for a while:

idlerpulley.jpg

My new to me coupe:

idlerpulley1.jpg

As you can tell one is vertical the other is horizontal

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
It is possible that they both could be correct, especially if Ford changed the tensioner used in the production run somewhere along the line due to the part manufacturer's changes.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
My original tensioner looked like the bottom one, only it was steel. I now have an aluminum one. And I also have a cover/guard that partially covers the pivot point of the tensioner.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
General rule of thumb, the single bolt tensioner is regarded as an 01 style, and the 3 bolt tensioner is more typical of a 99 cover. Generally.

rcurtis

Established Member
If I recall correctly they changed that to prevent the belt from coming off. Mine looks like the bottom built in April of 99.
Rick

desertt5

Established Member
I appreciate all the replies. The top one has a build date of 5/99. The bottom has no sticker in the door anymore.

From the responses here it looks like some where mid production year they changed the tensioner. There cant be that many blocks that have been changed. Thanks

fastback brian

Established Member
99 should have a three bolt tensioner.. the 3 bolt steel tensioner was a part of the 99 performance recall also.. you should be able to find a part number and even a year casted in that cover...

desertt5

Established Member
99 should have a three bolt tensioner.. the 3 bolt steel tensioner was a part of the 99 performance recall also.. you should be able to find a part number and even a year casted in that cover...

Curious, what cover should and where? Thanks

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
There is a cover that goes over the tensioner, also the performance recall tensioners doesn't have a slot for a breaker bar. In order to release the tension there is a bolt that screws into the tensioner and you crank on the bolt to release the tension. I can go take pictures of the tensioner and the bolt if you would like.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread