2.9l whipple ?'s

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2.9l Whipple w/Crusher Kit...What supporting mods do I need and how much power should I expect to make? I want to get all supporting mods out of the way and not have to worry about having to upgrade anything else later if I want more power. It will be tuned for 91 octane and 91 octane w/torco. I would appreciate some input from you guys. Thanks.

P.S. or should I just go with the KB 2.8LC Mammoth

04cobra88

Established Member
I used the search and honestly can't find too much info on supporting mods and that's no joke then you get guys like you who wouldn't give info or post a link and just give a smart ass comment.....it's not much help

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
I used the search and honestly can't find too much info on supporting mods and that's no joke then you get guys like you who wouldn't give info or post a link and just give a smart ass comment.....it's not much help

I just gave up searching right now and you are right, I couldn't find much. Input would be appreciated. Thanks.

D-MANN

Established Member

Its not a smart ass comment.What I stated above is reality.Do you honestly think in the last 10 years this question has never been brought up?
OP you will need:
60/80 lb injectors(80 prefered since you want a crusher)
BAP but you will close to maxing out your injectors with 60's
or lethals budget return system(prefered)
slot style MAF for crusher(SCT BA-5000)
aftermarket heat exchanger
tr6 plugs
tuning device of your choice and a good tune
thats just of the top of my head as basics I guess.Hopefully you have a free flowing exhaust already.
All of this info is readily available with search function.
Im not even going to get into the whipple crusher vs mammoth debate :nonono:
91 octane will limit your boost to 16/17 at most safely.
:beer:

Last edited:

vadorsnake04

Established Member

It's not a smart ass comment. It's just the truth. Here is a link: Google

P.s. newb: learn how to search.:beer:

gabe1530

Banned
Ill help you out...

Really the only supporting mods you need are a slot style maf and fuel upgrades. I would atleast run 80lb injectors and an upgraded duel pump system preferably in a return system.
If you decide to run e85, that setup will need a BAP and should take 725-ish HP.
Personally, I wouldn't go with the crusher setup if your only tuning it on 91 and torco. With the stock 3.5 pulley and crusher you'll be around 18/19 lbs depending on exhaust mods.
These big blowers don't make low end torque till you spin them in the 21lb range.
Where in OC are you? I think the closest e85 station is in Downey next to RET.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
Ill help you out...

Where in OC are you? I think the closest e85 station is in Downey next to RET.

Thanks guys for your help...It's a fair amount of money I'm going to be spending and just want to make sure I do things right and have all the most up to date information on this set up.

So, if I'm going to be running 91 and 91 w/torco then it would make more sense to go 2.3l or 2.9 w/o the crusher kit? I just want room for improvement later if and when I want more power without having to purchase more parts and pay more in labor when I can probably get most of it done now...

I'm located in Santa Ana/Orange area...

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
Ok, what are the power levels you want to get to? If your looking for 700 on 91, that's not going to happen unless you build your engine and get some ported heads and cams. Unless... You run 32 ounces of torco per tank and run 21lbs. That can get costly. How often do you drive your cobra? DD?

Is there a reason you want the 2.9 crusher or 2.8lc mammoth?

Last edited:

willis414

Established Member
If 91 octane is the only fuel in your area I would get the non-crusher 2.9. you won't turn it up enough (fuel is your limiting factor) to make use of the added air flow of the crusher set up.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
my car is mostly driven on the weekends and I'd like to see low to mid 600s but don't want to regret limiting the power in the future, if I decide I want to be in the mid 700s...

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
cant go wrong with either blower, power will be close. just take the specs of each and do pros/cons me personaly i like the kblc thats my big pro vs the other. power will be 600 and 650hp tq will be lower do to boost on pump gas these big blowers like to be pushed over 20/22lbs b4 the tq likes to come play in most cases. all the sup mods are right just make sure u dont half ass ur fuel system cause that seems like the limiting factor all the time when wanting more power. other than that good luck have fun and sorry, for some of the remarks poeple forget somtimes what forms are for. yes the search options will help greatly in most cases but they shouldnt add their comments to make the searcher feel low just dont respond and move on.

stangfreak

Established Member
My opinion. Iv seen three 2.9 whipples with crushers on the dyno being tuned and not one of them made more than a regular 2.9 whipple. which tells me that the stock inlet that whipple makes is sufficient. I see some on here that made 800rwhp. Like I said I saw 3. Not one made 800rwhp.

I have a 2.9 with stock lnlet. The car rips. Its violent.

The two blowers you listed are big blowers meant for big boost. Your throwing in the 2.8 mammoth and a crusher 2.9. These blowers are not happy being tuned on 91 and low boost. They will make a high peak hp number, but, I can bet you, a 2.3 or a 2.6 at low boost level making less will keep up.

so before you buy a big blower, make sure you know what you want. The whole torco thing mixed with 91, not a fan. e85 or straight race gas. Thats it.

Dont be that guy that buys a 2.8 mammoth kb or a 2.9 whipple and runs 16lbs of boost.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
My opinion. Iv seen three 2.9 whipples with crushers on the dyno being tuned and not one of them made more than a regular 2.9 whipple. which tells me that the stock inlet that whipple makes is sufficient. I see some on here that made 800rwhp. Like I said I saw 3. Not one made 800rwhp.

I have a 2.9 with stock lnlet. The car rips. Its violent.

The two blowers you listed are big blowers meant for big boost. Your throwing in the 2.8 mammoth and a crusher 2.9. These blowers are not happy being tuned on 91 and low boost. They will make a high peak hp number, but, I can bet you, a 2.3 or a 2.6 at low boost level making less will keep up.

so before you buy a big blower, make sure you know what you want. The whole torco thing mixed with 91, not a fan. e85 or straight race gas. Thats it.

Dont be that guy that buys a 2.8 mammoth kb or a 2.9 whipple and runs 16lbs of boost.

My 2.9 picked up 40 rwhp with the crusher, same boost level. And picked up a lot throughout the power band

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am running the exact combo you are asking about. A 2.9 crusher kit. As far as mods go I'm running a triple Fore return style system with no Boost-a-pump. Slot style MAF and 80s. I'm also running e-85. On a conservative tune the car is making north of 700 rwhp. My last combo was a 2.3 Whipple which I loved but the 2.9 crusher makes way more power and torque.
It was tuned by Lideo at Alternative. I can honestly say that the car runs better than it ever has and I'm the original owner. Car is #565 so kind of an early '03.
Just my 2 cents worth. Saw your post and thought I'd respond.
Oh, and by the way. Be sure to buy a High Boost Overlay. You are going to need it. My combo makes around 21-22 pounds of boost.
Ray H.

D-MANN

Established Member
Search function is your friend. To take advantage of a whipple with crusher you need a good exhaust setup,clutch and suspension aswell. It's more than just getting it up and running. No point having that power if you can't get it to the ground. Supporting mods to me with a whipple and crusher includes these aswell.

Mooseman0

Established Member
2.9 Whipple here with 2 tunes
I have mod list saved so I'll copy paste it

Stock Long block
2.9 whipple
SCT BA-3000 90mm MAF Meter with Aluminum Housing
Siemen Deka 80lb USCAR High Impedence Injectors
Lethal Performance 99-04 4V Budget Return Style Fuel System Dual walbro 340lph pumps
Car is on stock Fuel rail and fuel feed line
EGR delete
Mac 1 5/8 longtube headers and off road x pipe, SLP Loudmouth Catback Exhaust
fluidyne heat exchanger
JLT Intake connected to a Accufab Single blade Throttle body

With stock lower and 3.5 upper made 16psi at 575whp at 18# timing 93 octane

3.5 upper and 4lb lower made 21psi @ 20# timing 650whp 110 race gas

Currently swapping upper pulley to a 3.25 for 2.5 psi on each tune and went with a high boost intake. Hoping to pick up 50whp on eacg tune.

highf250

Established Member
Have the 2.9 non crusher, Clutch was immediatly gone after install dont forget that.
Building a motor now may have had one bad injector. I had 60s would go 80s GT pumps and BAP, or return style.

Users who are viewing this thread