2 dead cylinders/Spark plugs

jeffhou

Established Member
I ordered a flip chip a couple of months ago and it ran great, awesome on the high end, and everything was going great until one day coming home from the track I felt my truck start to shake and the blower sounded extremely hesitant, it was drivable but I could tell it wasn’t running all of the cylinders. I had noticed a bit of pinging before this happened, it sounded kind of like bits of sand were going into the engine when I would give it gas, I guess that’s what pinging sounds like? Anyway I took it to my ford dealer and they assessed the damage and said that they couldn’t tell me whats wrong with it but the mods are what caused it. I said that is bullshit you cant tell me whats wrong so you cant say that the mods did it, but I do have the following mods:

Line valve mod
JL lower Pulley
JDM Flip Chip warm/cold weather
PsP air kit
Flowmasters
Larger Trans Pan with drain plug.

Now the dealer had a tech guy come and look at my truck and hes the one that said what I told you above. I told them I thought that it was because they didn’t replace my spark plugs or O2 sensor when my I/C was leaking 1000 miles before, and the coolant might have leaked into the engine. They cant deny that could be true but it hasn’t helped my case much. On the bright side the dealer is on my side and they are doing what they can to help but Ford is being difficult to work with. My question for you is what could possibly have caused my cylinder to go bad at 14k miles? I just found out last week that 2 spark plugs were toast along with 2 cylinders, valve got bent, this doesn’t make sense to me at all. My friend Mark has tried to help me but he cant figure out what could cause this either. Any help is appreciated, and thanks for your time J

BTW: right before it happened the truck felt like it lost a lot of power like the boost shut-off. I remember a similar feeling when I had just got my truck to 3k and I did a burn-out right before I ran down the 1/8th mile and I ran a 10.4 cause my blower shut-off.

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
I responded to this on the f150online.com.

When did you find out that 2 cylinders where dead? I'm assuming after you brought it to the dealer.

I think it is possible if the spark plugs fail, and any of the metal pieces of the spark plugs fall into the engine it could damage the cylinder. It's a theory.

Users who are viewing this thread