2 Questions about Texas

03cobraFL

Established Member
Hey,

I just moved to Texas from Florida not to long ago and also bought my first Mustang in the process. I was wondering with the inspection in Texas if I will be able to get away with running an off-road mid pipe on my car without any questions, or should I just forget about it and just get a catted one instead? Also I just got my plates in the other day.Is it mandatory that I have to put a plate on the front of the car?

Thanks

RedfireSVT

Established Member
cats are required unless you can find a shop that will pass it without them which alot of guys do. yes by law the front plate is required, i never have nor will i ever put one on the front of my cobra and have yet to be stopped for it. also it's time to change that avatar.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
For inspection, a front LP is not checked for. And as far as the offroad midpipe, unless the inspector looks under your car and can see you have no cats then you will be ok (as long as you have no check engine light or DTCs). Not many inspectors will look under a car unless your just insanely loud or theres an exhaust leak.

Also if your car is a 2009, your a saftey only inspection meaning you dont even have to worry about plugging into an obd 2

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
some places are lazy and dont do the visual check for cats. kinda hit or miss on that one. what i did was get an x pipe that i could add or remove the cats when i want. they bolt in. makes for small exhaust leaks but it doesnt really concern me. as for the license plate. not displaying a license on the front bumper of the car is a violation of texas traffic code. so it could be a ticket. u will definitely be stopped for it at least once while u are here. you may or may not get a ticket out of it. its up to u. personally, the car didnt have the holes in the bumper so im not gonna ruin it. i do this with the understanding that i may be written a citation for it.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I have never had anyone look under my car for the state inspection, they just hook up to the OBDII port and as long as that passes, we are good to go (not that I am worried, since I have a catted X).

In the almost 7 years I have had the car, I have been stopped 3 times for no front plate, the first time was 2 years ago and the last 2 within a month of each other.

No tickets, so far (every time I have been stopped, the cop just looks at me and goes "oh", guess there are not figuring it is some 55 year old dude).

-Brian

03SVTKB

Established Member
YEah you are going to need cats to pass emissions in texas unless you have the hook up.
Lame emissions test in texas ftl

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
personally I got tired of getting pulled over for Front license plate tickets... mainly because the cops that pull you over for no front license plate, will be nit picky and get you for ANYTHING else they can (I.E. Window Tint or other small things). In my experience/opinion, the last cops you want to get pulled over from, are the cops who pull over nice cars with no front plates.

Users who are viewing this thread