2 Questions

93COBRA2104

Established Member
1. Are the '93 Cobra rotors and the '93 GT rotors the same size?
2. I bought 3.73 gears, can they just be put in or do I need an install kit from someone Summit.

Thanks everyone.

svt2205

Established Member
No the rotor's are not the same. They are the same diameter, but they are dimensionally different in the distance from the wheel mounting surface and the braking surface.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the rotors are larger diameter as well.

As far as installing the gear, if you've never done before, I wouldn't recommend doing it as a backyard install. There are some very precise measurements that have to be done, those measurements (backlash) determine if you need the install kit or not. You will need a new crush collar for the pinion gear (some people "reshape" their old one with a hammer and reuse since they are absolute monsters to get the correct preload on them when you are laying on your back under a car). I'm one of those people who reused their old one and 30,000 miles later, still running great and quiet.

Shims may or may not be needed, that is determined after the initial install and backlash setting is measured. Ford Motorsport gears used to come with the installation kit, but I don't think they do now. FMS gears are the only ones I would recommend/have experience with.

Good Luck!

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I got FRPP 3.73's. I was not going to try the install, I just didn't want them to get to my mechanic and then need an install kit. As for my other post, You have a different cam, do you think I need the A9L?

Thanks a lot man.

One more thing, where can I get new front rotors?

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Go ahead and get the install kit, but don't open it. Get it from Summit. That way, if you don't use it, they'll take it back.

Do you need an A9L? No. You would also have to get a mass air calibrated for 24# injectors. For the cost of a new mass air and new computer, you could easily get a dyno tune with a chip, or a Tweecer.

I remember a thread on here somewhere about getting replacement rotors, seems like it was Autozone, but I'm not sure. You could probably do a search on brakes and find the thread.

race495

Established Member
Rotors are the same diameter, just the hat is different to change the wheel offset.

This is a good deal on rotors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33564&item=2426779662

and for just the fronts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2942466135&category=undefined

I bought the fronts and they have been great so far, no problems as far as runout and such. The slotted look is pretty good also.

If you are gonna do brakes I would suggest getting a set of 73mm calipers off a 1986 town car (around $15 each) as that will make a nice difference in braking along with a good set of pads.

Performance friction or the Hawk HPS pads ($60) will work great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread