2 similar S/C upgrade packages, recommendation please

Steve@BAS

Established Member
These two kits look the same, but are from different site sponsors. One is cheaper by $50, the other claims larger gains, but parts look the same...

Evolution Performance Shelby GT500 Stage Zero [EVO-GT500-Stage-Zero] - $800.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts Claims 135rwhp and 130rwtq cost $800

JLT SCT Tuner & Pulley Upgrade Package (2010 GT500) [PMSPX3-GT500-10] - $749.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT Claims 70rwhp no torque note, and cost is $750

EDIT : Added a third option to the list : http://www.lethalperformance.com/07...formance-2010-gt500-boost-upgrade-kit-p-30038 No gains listed, price $795 /end edit

I wasn't sure if the first one has exgerated gains claimed, or got those gains on a heavily modified car, or if it just has a much better tune on the programmer that allows it to give a larger gain.

I know both sites are a sponsor here, I'm sure both kits are great, just wanted to see what the folks here recommend for me.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

kent1

Established Member
I notice you lived in Florida. If you are not going to install it yourself, you should contact VMP Tuning located in Florida and get a custom tune. He is one of the best in the country and he is in your state. I drove all the from Louisiana for his custom tune and installs. See mods in sig and I am making about 630 hp on stock blower. Just a thought.

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
I notice you lived in Florida. If you are not going to install it yourself, you should contact VMP Tuning located in Florida and get a custom tune. He is one of the best in the country and he is in your state. I drove all the from Louisiana for his custom tune and installs. See mods in sig and I am making about 630 hp on stock blower. Just a thought.

How are you liking that stock SC upgrade? Do you think its comparable to a Whipple 2.9 or KB 2.8? Honestly!

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Added a third choice.

Still hoping somebody can chime in on which one of the three will give the best gains and has best quality parts (if they are infact different other than the tune) So also need to know which one has best tune. :beer:

AlanSVT

Established Member
I pretty much made my own kit and got a dyno tune. I went from 470 to 520

I saw a gain of 50hp. But I am sure depending on weather and what not I could gain more... I do not think you could go wrong with either one

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
These two kits look the same, but are from different site sponsors. One is cheaper by $50, the other claims larger gains, but parts look the same...

Evolution Performance Shelby GT500 Stage Zero [EVO-GT500-Stage-Zero] - $800.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts Claims 135rwhp and 130rwtq cost $800

JLT SCT Tuner & Pulley Upgrade Package (2010 GT500) [PMSPX3-GT500-10] - $749.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT Claims 70rwhp no torque note, and cost is $750

EDIT : Added a third option to the list : Lethal Performance 2010 GT500 Boost Upgrade Kit [LP-2010GT500SCBK-L] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs No gains listed, price $795 /end edit

I wasn't sure if the first one has exgerated gains claimed, or got those gains on a heavily modified car, or if it just has a much better tune on the programmer that allows it to give a larger gain.

I know both sites are a sponsor here, I'm sure both kits are great, just wanted to see what the folks here recommend for me.

Thanks all.

Honestly any of the kits mentioned above will realistically yield you similar gains which is in the 90-100rwhp range on 93 octane. They all use most of the same high quality parts. We use Jon Lund for all of our tuning. Not sure if EVO still uses him for all of their tunes but maybe EVO can answer that for you. I'm unaware of who does JLT's tuning but I'm sure it's going to be a quality tune as well.

It's really going to come down to who you feel comfortable doing business with. All 3 companies offer very good customer service and have a lot of experience with these cars. So you really can't go wrong with any of us.

If you have any questions about any of the products we offer you're always welcome to give us a call.

We look forward to assisting you.

Jared

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
+1 I used a local tuner shop and got an extra 100rwhp per dyno. Used the same parts though

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Honestly any of the kits mentioned above will realistically yield you similar gains which is in the 90-100rwhp range on 93 octane. They all use most of the same high quality parts. We use Jon Lund for all of our tuning. Not sure if EVO still uses him for all of their tunes but maybe EVO can answer that for you. I'm unaware of who does JLT's tuning but I'm sure it's going to be a quality tune as well.

It's really going to come down to who you feel comfortable doing business with. All 3 companies offer very good customer service and have a lot of experience with these cars. So you really can't go wrong with any of us.

If you have any questions about any of the products we offer you're always welcome to give us a call.

We look forward to assisting you.

Jared

Thanks for your honest answer Jared. :beer:

Will be in touch sometime after the holiday

harmon rabb

Established Member
Are you anywhere in central florida? If so, go to VMP tuning and be done with it. I can't imagine going with a canned tune when you can have Justin at VMP tune it for you.

Might I also recommend a larger heat exchanger to you? Especially once you turn up the wick a little, you'll lose a good amount of power due to heat soak. Get a larger heat exchanger and that will be a thing of the past.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
VMP - $675 for a tune

Pulley/tensioner/plugs - $335

$1010 for custom tune VS $800 for a package.

How much extra would you expect from a custom tune on a car that is pretty much stock? Not that I think the extra $200 is too much, I just want to make sure it is worthwhile.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
In my opinion a custom tune is the best way to go. Use a caned tune if you can not get to a tuner. No car is exactly the same. they all run a little diffrent even with very similar parts. On a dyno there are all kinds of things that can come into play but also look at getting it tuned in as cold a weather as possible. You wont run lean then. Better to be a little fat and safe then lean and blow up.

harmon rabb

Established Member
How much extra would you expect from a custom tune on a car that is pretty much stock? Not that I think the extra $200 is too much, I just want to make sure it is worthwhile

It's worthwhile. With the frpp tune included with my tvs kit, my car was running lean. I took it to VMP for a custom tune and pulley. With the pulley and the canned VMP tune (the starting point for Justin's custom tunes), it was still lean. So, yeah, the custom tune was well worth it. Not all cars run the same. Mine runs leaner than some others for whatever reason (perhaps the gas I put in it has a higher alcohol content?).

Custom tune all the way.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is my 2010 upgrade package that includes an SCT X3 tuner with custom VMP Tunes, 2.65 stock-look pulley, and idler:
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Pulley and Custom Tune Upgrade Package for 2010 Shelby GT500
It runs $629 + shipping + optional pulley removal/install tool.

That being said, it sounds like you may have already contacted me for a price on installation and dynotune of the parts. If that is the case, before and after dyno runs are included as well as fine tuning on my dyno.

The 2010s are quite variable when it comes to stock power numbers, but you should end up in the 525-550rwhp range with pulley and tune.

kent1

Established Member
How are you liking that stock SC upgrade? Do you think its comparable to a Whipple 2.9 or KB 2.8? Honestly!
I went 127.15 MPH at the track last Saturday and I left the traction control on-I did not want to break any parts. The sixty foot was only 1.88. So you can see there is a lot more left in the car.

I think it is fairly comparable to the Whipple 2.9 or KB 2.8 on the low end but the Whipple 2.9 and kB 2.8 will outperform it on the top end. This is my guess and experience from reading and asking questions. I have not drove any cars with the other blowers.

I can tell you this-with the mods I have and proper suspension and tires plus a good driver-the stock blower will hold its own somewhere in the ten's. If you go with headers you will pick more hp and tq-which is the way to go if you go to the track.

My goal is to have a street car with a quiet ride and go to the track several times a year. I may ordered some bogards with skinnies up front and put them on at the track for just a little more. Good luck in your decision process.

BTW-I am very satisfied with the mods I have on the car and the custom tune and parts by VMP tuning.

Last edited:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
That being said, it sounds like you may have already contacted me for a price on installation and dynotune of the parts.

I have not contacted you previously, got the dyno prices off your nice site :)

I did just send you a PM though, looking forward to the response.

:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread