2-step doesn't work most of the time

pridemore54

Established Member
So my cobra had the MSD 2-step device installed before I bought it. Since I've owned it I've only gotten it to work twice.

I've taken out the module a couple times to adjust the dials and it kind of seems like the dials have been rotating on their own in-between the set points (from engine vibrations I assume). It's hard to tell but both times I have taken it out and lined up the indicators better (it would only be barely off) it would work once and then not again.

Does this diagnosis sound right? I've never had 2-step before and didn't install it myself so my knowledge as-to how this system works is limited. Is it completely controlled by the module or is there something in the ECU tune that should be looking for it as well?

I did check all the engine bay connections and they are all plugged in completely.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The context of your reply tells me these are known for going bad..
MSD used to be really good stuff. Then after Holley bought them they fell off quite a bit. It seems most people run their stuff just because it's well known. But everyone I know that has run anything of theirs (ignition boxes, coils, etc) has had them fail at some point. Maybe they've gotten better, but I'm not going to take the chance.

If you want the two step I think most run the N2MB. I believe that one can also be set up with a lap top. No need for turning dials.

If you do think it's just the dials slipping, the next time you adjust them put some liquid white out on them. Or torque seal if you can get it. That will keep them from moving.

pridemore54

Established Member
MSD used to be really good stuff. Then after Holley bought them they fell off quite a bit. It seems most people run their stuff just because it's well known. But everyone I know that has run anything of theirs (ignition boxes, coils, etc) has had them fail at some point. Maybe they've gotten better, but I'm not going to take the chance.

If you want the two step I think most run the N2MB. I believe that one can also be set up with a lap top. No need for turning dials.

If you do think it's just the dials slipping, the next time you adjust them put some liquid white out on them. Or torque seal if you can get it. That will keep them from moving.
Roger that, I've got blue loctite and vibratite on hand so I might try one of those.

03' White Snake

Established Member

Or a small dab of clear silicone. You can peel it off and adjust the dials easily.

Users who are viewing this thread