20 GT500 CFTP vs 17 GT350R on track same day

Saleenrose

Established Member
Just got back from a day at track, took both cars to have a side by side comparison, should not have. I have open tracked the 350R since new and came from a 00R, big difference between those two. Wringing the snot out of the 350R it is a fast track car, handles corners very well, at the end of this straight it would hit 150, at the mid straight entrance about 125 all in, the back straight 130 holding breath just before brake zone. Now first lap ever in GT500CFTP, surprised at stable feel over GT350R, must be rear wing, entered midpoint on straight not having pushed at all 137, lifted early, no race pads, hit 157, back straight short shifting, thing has all the power you can use, 130 by crest and left hand turn, mid back straight. After a few laps speeds were 139 at mid straight, 159 early on front straight, and 135 on back, found myself driving easier, less rpm's, much faster. Now, maybe I need another CFTP and one less R.
18090.jpeg

Saleenrose

Established Member
Rain was all morning, Afternoon was dry for few hours. Track in Washington, trying to keep names and faces out, I hate internet and open track stuff. May change picture soon. 350R had Goodyear G3 tires, complete crap in rain. 500 was reasonable, really learn how to drive in rain, when dry little movement feels so solid, much faster after.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The GT-500 really shines on the track. Compare the 350-R manual to the GT-500-CFTP auto. Which transmission do you prefer overall?

Saleenrose

Established Member
I love the Manual in the 350, best trans I have ever tracked, this trans works great down shifting and controlling braking. The 500 trans I did not like in auto track mode, remember I had less to little time playing with it in dry, I manually shifted and having never tracked a paddle shifted car I was not very good at it. I can say the car would not upset when shifted even in hard accel spots and during corner exit short shifting, I think I could learn to love it, I wish it had a shifter, I can up and down one handed, this is how I drive a manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread