200,000 mile issues

Phoenix0783

Established Member
My '97 has just over 200,000 miles on it now and it's gone some noises. There's a tick that's fairly loud until it warms up. It mostly goes away when it's warm and sometimes it will go away entirely. There's also just general mechanical noise that's pretty loud. I'm thinking timing chain guides? Due to the previous owner it had the original pcv valve until about 180,000 miles, which is what I think caused the small oil lake in the bottom of the intake and also caused all the gunk on the back of the intake valves.

It also doesn't really like to idle if the a/c or defrost is on.

I don't know a whole lot about the modular engines, so any insight would be appreciated. I'm planning on pulling the engine in the next couple months and having it rebuilt.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
The best way to get opinions on the ticking noise would be to post up a video. Did you try a mechanic's stethoscope or screwdriver to see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from? It could be a lot of things without more info... Lash adjusters, timing chains tensioners, etc.

Without an oil separator between the valve cover/pcv and intake manifold. It will eventually pull oil and puddle in the intake valley/burn anyway, regardless of mileage. Also with that many miles, you should be long due for an IMRC cleaning.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
I did clean the imrcs when I was tracking down the hesitation issue I had last year. I'll record some video when I get ready to head home from work.

laddanator

Established Member
Honestly, 200,000 miles, it's no surprise you're hearing noises. The tick is common in our cars. The valve guides are shitty so I can't image what yours look like at 200,000. I say put the old tired girl out to pasture and put in a newer fresh beast . :)

Phoenix0783

Established Member
My phone won't take video with out a weird hissing sound that obscures the noise. Best way to describe it is that it's just noisy.

I'm planning on getting it rebuilt, so I guess I should plan on timing chain guides, valve guides, rings and bearings?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
What're your plans for the car? Rebuild as stock, high hp NA or FI, would depend on how much you're going to spend.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Clean your MAF sensor. If it were me I would tune it up, run Pennzoil yellow bottle next oil change (tends to quiet down some engines) and just keep driving it.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
What're your plans for the car? Rebuild as stock, high hp NA or FI, would depend on how much you're going to spend.
Just a stock rebuild. I have other projects I'm putting money into currently and use it as my daily driver. It also has 4.10s and an after cat exhaust kit.

Clean your MAF sensor. If it were me I would tune it up, run Pennzoil yellow bottle next oil change (tends to quiet down some engines) and just keep driving it.
I cleaned the MAF last summer, so it should be fine? I put a bottle of Marvel in it last time and all it did was make the mains leak.

It's got new plugs and wires . Air filter is good. Alt charges fine. Emissions system seems to work fine. It needs new motor and tranny mounts, though.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The maf is fine then. Yea MMO thins out the oil quite a bit. Have you changed the fuel filter?

Phoenix0783

Established Member
Talked to a fellow Mustang guy I know that works at a local dealership and he said it's just the injectors opening and closing. I replaced them with a "cleaned" set off of ebay awhile back when I was hunting down the hesitation issue. I may put the originals back in.

Users who are viewing this thread