2000 Cobra R's shooting out sparkplug?

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Have you guys ever heard of a Cobra R shooting out a spark plug?
Cobra R's were included in the following defect investigation.

Recalls Summary | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Who knew?
~Gary :shrug:

Have personally seen several incidents of plugs blowing out of the cyl head on 2v mod motors both 4.6 and 5.4..mostly 5.4..as it turns out the later heads 98-2002 both 2v and 4v only have 3-5 threads engaging the plug where the early 2v/4v heads including the cobra R heads have 7 threads...R owners should have nothing to worry about, but if you ever see one of the 5.4 trucks blow out a spark plug, it does make a mess....it does require a special tool to insert a steel threaded insert into the head..

Wildman113

Established Member
Have personally seen several incidents of plugs blowing out of the cyl head on 2v mod motors both 4.6 and 5.4..mostly 5.4..as it turns out the later heads 98-2002 both 2v and 4v only have 3-5 threads engaging the plug where the early 2v/4v heads including the cobra R heads have 7 threads...R owners should have nothing to worry about, but if you ever see one of the 5.4 trucks blow out a spark plug, it does make a mess....it does require a special tool to insert a steel threaded insert into the head..

I have seen an heard of many 2V 5.4's blowing plugs out of the heads. I'd say its almost a common issue unfortunately.

Never heard of a 4V blowing a plug though, I was under the impression that it was only the 2V truck heads that had the inherent design flaw of not having enough threads to secure the plug.

The 3V engines are the opposite, the damn plugs break off and the tips get stuck in the cylinder head!! Another special Ford tool for that problem.

Perhaps it was an oversight that the Cobra R's were included in the campaign since they were 5.4 engines??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread