2000 gt with ac compressor whine...

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
I have a 2000 mustang gt with a ac compressor noise. It is a high pitched whining noise that almost sounds like a supercharger, lol. If the car is cold it will start whining 30 seconds after I start the car....If I rev the engine it will stop, but comes right back. Once the car warms up some, the sound goes away completely (as far as I can tell).

Does anyone know what this could be?

I can post a vid if needed.

Thanks for your help!!!

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Mine started doing this at the beginning of the year. I drove with it whining for about four months until it seized on me and stalled my engine. Sounds like you need a new compressor.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
Mine started doing this at the beginning of the year. I drove with it whining for about four months until it seized on me and stalled my engine. Sounds like you need a new compressor.

How much money am i looking at including parts and labor? OR, is this something i can tackle by myself?

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Depends on your skill level. Replacing the parts themselves aren't really too bad, but the problem is having proper AC system tools. When a compressor fails, or anything else in the AC system, then you really need to have the entire thing flushed. It could be that something else has broken in this case and ended up in your compressor which has initiated failure. Its recommended that you replace the compressor, drier, orifice tube, etc when when there is an AC failure because there can be debris in these parts that will end up destroying your new compressor. It's a good idea to get the system replaced at a shop, and with Ford OEM components (do not use aftermarket AC parts).

I can't really give a cost because I personally just bought a FRPP AC delete and ripped out all my AC stuff since my car is slowly becoming a road course car.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
Depends on your skill level. Replacing the parts themselves aren't really too bad, but the problem is having proper AC system tools. When a compressor fails, or anything else in the AC system, then you really need to have the entire thing flushed. It could be that something else has broken in this case and ended up in your compressor which has initiated failure. Its recommended that you replace the compressor, drier, orifice tube, etc when when there is an AC failure because there can be debris in these parts that will end up destroying your new compressor. It's a good idea to get the system replaced at a shop, and with Ford OEM components (do not use aftermarket AC parts).

I can't really give a cost because I personally just bought a FRPP AC delete and ripped out all my AC stuff since my car is slowly becoming a road course car.

thanks for the info...I'm hoping that its not the compressor though...If it is the compressor, it sounds like a lot of money will be spent in the near future.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
It's not cheap, but I was expecting worse. The ford dealership is wanting $637+tax (parts and labor) for just the compressor swap. He told me since it hasn't locked up, then the system should be clean of debris, so the compressor is the only thing they will replace...he said that it might just be the clutch...but not sure. Oem parts will be used

Another semi-reputable shop in town quoted me 600-700 (parts and labor) for replacing everything (everything you listed above)...oem parts will be used.

I just went out and started it up to check it out one more time and I seen something that I haven't seen until now. With the ac on max, the clutch will cycle on/off every 10-15 seconds...Once or twice, in between cycles, the clutch slipped and rotated a little.

could this whining sound possibly be caused by a bad clutch?

Ducci

Established Member
It's not cheap, but I was expecting worse. The ford dealership is wanting $637+tax (parts and labor) for just the compressor swap. He told me since it hasn't locked up, then the system should be clean of debris, so the compressor is the only thing they will replace...he said that it might just be the clutch...but not sure. Oem parts will be used

Another semi-reputable shop in town quoted me 600-700 (parts and labor) for replacing everything (everything you listed above)...oem parts will be used.

I just went out and started it up to check it out one more time and I seen something that I haven't seen until now. With the ac on max, the clutch will cycle on/off every 10-15 seconds...Once or twice, in between cycles, the clutch slipped and rotated a little.

could this whining sound possibly be caused by a bad clutch?

Yes, I just had an issue this summer with the AC clutch. It made a whining sound but I ignored it. After that it made a rattling sound then fell off (I know i ignored it too long if this happened). I just went ahead an replaced the compressor (due to the age of the car) which cost relatively close to what you were being quoted.

Users who are viewing this thread