2000 R owners: driveline clunking sound

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I have noticed a clunking sound in the driveline when decellerating, usually around 1000-1500 rpm's....and it does it again when getting back on the gas....I had a 99 cobra with a similar problem, which ended up being u-joint related....the dealer had seen quite a few loose ones on the 99's and knew right away what the problem was....any suggestions???

Andy M

Established Member
hmmm? Mine does not make this particular noise??? I do get the thump at very low speed and RPM when the rear diff is engaging and disengaging the clutch pack...but I don't have this noise you are referring to??

Have you had the rear knuckle recall done yet?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I just had the rear knuckle done, and it didnt make a difference. I had hoped that was the problem, but it wasnt. Its definately driveline related. I can actually feel the car lurch forward as it makes the sound, almost like there is play somewhere in the driveline, and the torque is coming off the rear as I slow down, and when i get back on the gas, it makes the same noise, but not quite as loud....guess I'll have to get it up on the lift at my friends station and start looking for play....hopefully its a simple fix....The yoke on my 99 cobra was loose. That was a similar noise, but I didnt feel it as much, possibly cause the R has alot more HP and torque. The dealer had seen alot of 99's that werent torqued down properly, and I think they even issued a tsb or recall for that back in 99/2000....maybe its the same deal....

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
I drove my R today, as the weather in Houston is outstanding right now!! :D ....anyway, I DO in fact hear the noise you are referring to?? And it does in fact sound like it might be the U joint or something like that? it is definitely in the drive line... hmm???

Should we get this checked out? I hate taking my car to the Ford dealer(s) ... Man, most of them are sooooo out to lunch when it comes to our cars!! :sad

My car will be at Houston Performance next week for the Kenny Brown diff cooler install... I will get them to check this out and report back..

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Andy, Thanks for the update....I'll probably wait to hear back from you before I do anything....The pro's should be able to tell if there is a problem when they install your cooler....

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
Andy, Thanks for the update....I'll probably wait to hear back from you before I do anything....The pro's should be able to tell if there is a problem when they install your cooler....
ok.. no problem. I will report back some time next week after I get it back....

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
It all most sounds like a rear end that is not set up correctly, like incorrect backlash. Not that Ford would do anything like that from the factory. ;) I'm not sure how the R rear end is set up with their new locking system.

The guys at HP will help you out though.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Are you guys talking about a recall on the knuckle of a '00 R???

Andy and I (and some 2000 R owners I have talked to in person) have heard and felt a clunking noise in our driveline, most likely somewhere in the driveline or in the rear axle itself. I had the knuckle recall done this week, and it didnt take care of the clunk, so its time to look elsewhere.....

XLR8-R

Established Member
Clunking

My car makes a noise that I thought was a popping/clunk upon decel and when I hit the gas again. I believe now that it is a backfire instead. Listen closely and see if you agree. Usually does it after I get on it and let off, as I slow down. Carter

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
My car makes a noise that I thought was a popping/clunk upon decel and when I hit the gas again. I believe now that it is a backfire instead. Listen closely and see if you agree. Usually does it after I get on it and let off, as I slow down. Carter

I dont think its a backfire.....I can actually feel the car kinda jump forward a bit like something is engaging and disengaging or there is play or backlash somewhere.....

Andy M

Established Member
Could it not be that fancy dancy "gerotor" clutch pack engaging and disengaging?? it is supposed to be both torque and RPM sensitive?? If it is that, then it should be normal to hear it; if not, then we have some sort of problem to take care of.

I will call SVT (and maybe even the manufacturer - Visteon) to get more info. I also just dropped off my R at Houston Performance and asked that they look into it and report back.

details to come...

BRIMSTONE

My R was making a clunking sound during low RPM turns, it was almost like the passenger side rear wheel was loose. Also found that there was quite a bit of play on the half shafts, posted the question to this board but no one seemed to have that problem. Talked to one of the driveline engineers and he said the play was normal, because of the IRS and that it wasn't an all out race car where it would be a lot tighter.

At high speed I never got any clunking or feeling of looseness.
Mike

Andy M

Established Member
Update:

I just got off the phone with my mechanic at Houston Performance. He said when he got the car on the lift, he could move the rear (driver's side) wheel at least 1/2 inch from side to side :uh oh: AND the rear knuckle (the one I just had done on the recall at Texan Ford) was also loose and had not been properly tigthened down! Man, I was pissed...but glad I had someone competent working on it for a change.

I am also getting the Kenny Brown diff cooler installed as well as some new gears... Yes, I finally broke down and told them (since the rear end was apart anyway..) to go ahead with some new gears - 3.73:1. Wish me luck on this. Joe, I didn't have the balls to go with the 4.10's. I at least want to try this out and see if it will work ok for the type of tracks I go to and also my driving style.

They will also be installing my gauges.

Then, by at least Monday...she'll be ready to rock and roll!!

I am going to TWS on October 17th! Time to let the Bassani exhaust wail!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

kevin

hey all, i'm on the road so i don't have access to the internet very often.

but, i had the same "clunking" noise i think you're talking about when both accelerating a nd on decel (definetly not back fire).

the four bolts that hold the drive shaft to the joint to the rear joint were NEVER tightened all the way. all four were not in just enough that you could grab the drive shaft and turn it with your hand and see it "slip" at the joint.

oddly, all four bolts had been installed WITH lock tite. hence, you have botls that'll stay but not tightened as they should have been.

when these were tightned properly - the "clunking" sound is gone.

i emailed tom colettie(spelling) at svt and got an nice email back saying he'd look into it. that was back in may. never heard another word.

this may or may not be your problem. i posted this quite along time ago, but i'm sure it's so buried you'd never find it.

good luck.

kevin

)
Originally posted by Andy M
Update:

I just got off the phone with my mechanic at Houston Performance. He said when he got the car on the lift, he could move the rear (driver's side) wheel at least 1/2 inch from side to side :uh oh: AND the rear knuckle (the one I just had done on the recall at Texan Ford) was also loose and had not been properly tigthened down! Man, I was pissed...but glad I had someone competent working on it for a change.

I am also getting the Kenny Brown diff cooler installed as well as some new gears... Yes, I finally broke down and told them (since the rear end was apart anyway..) to go ahead with some new gears - 3.73:1. Wish me luck on this. Joe, I didn't have the balls to go with the 4.10's. I at least want to try this out and see if it will work ok for the type of tracks I go to and also my driving style.

They will also be installing my gauges.

Then, by at least Monday...she'll be ready to rock and roll!!

I am going to TWS on October 17th! Time to let the Bassani exhaust wail!!!!

i think you'll be happy with the comprimse 3.73 gears. you;ll be able to pass joe on the straight at tws.

also, don't forget the clock as a neccessary guage that all r cars must have for track use (right brian :D :D )

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
)

i think you'll be happy with the comprimse 3.73 gears. you;ll be able to pass joe on the straight at tws.

also, don't forget the clock as a neccessary guage that all r cars must have for track use (right brian :D :D )
I just got off the phone with Joe a few minutes ago... he said he just picked up his car from Kenny's place after they installed the new clutch. He is planning on attending the autocross at the dog track this Sunday.. I unfortunately can't make it this weekend.

I think the 3.73s will work just fine for me, as I don't expect to take my car to the drag races much and will mostly be going to TWS with it.

As for the clock, I will in fact have a small clock ( unlike Brian, I am still young enough to see a small clock and therefore don't need a wall clock in the car.. hehe!!) inside of the gauge pod along with an engine water temp gauge and an engine oil pressure gauge.

Joe also said that Kenny didn't install the new Kenny Brown strut brace because they thought they would have to remove the intake plenum?? huh? does that sound correct?? Also, is that just a cover for the real intake tubes underneath, or does that massive cover actually have the intake tubes built in?? if not, then it should not be a real big deal to remove it to install the strut brace, then reinstall afterwards???? anyone else done this strut brace upgrade yet?

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
the four bolts that hold the drive shaft to the joint to the rear joint were NEVER tightened all the way.

That is exactly what I found on my 99 cobra convert....I have heard quite a few complaints about this, and I cant believe SVT (well, actually nothing surprises me from them now) have a problem torquing down the driveshaft/universal bolts....its happened so much that I think they have a tsb or recall on the 99's....I also had 4 loose lug nuts on my 99's rf wheel....so loose that one lug fell off right in my driveway when I just got the car! I grabbed the lug wrench, and I found that ALL 4 WHEELS had a few slightly loose lugs!

Anyhow, I'll be checking the bolts this weekend....

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M

As for the clock, I will in fact have a small clock ( unlike Brian, I am still young enough to see a small clock and therefore don't need a wall clock in the car.. hehe!!) inside of the gauge pod along with an engine water temp gauge and an engine oil pressure gauge.

Andy, You da Man!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread