2000 R owners: driveline clunking sound

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

That is exactly what I found on my 99 cobra convert....I have heard quite a few complaints about this, and I cant believe SVT (well, actually nothing surprises me from them now) have a problem torquing down the driveshaft/universal bolts....its happened so much that I think they have a tsb or recall on the 99's....I also had 4 loose lug nuts on my 99's rf wheel....so loose that one lug fell off right in my driveway when I just got the car! I grabbed the lug wrench, and I found that ALL 4 WHEELS had a few slightly loose lugs!

Anyhow, I'll be checking the bolts this weekend....
ok.. another update on the work being done on my R...

I talked to Steve at Houston Performance and he said they noticed the bolts on the driveshaft were in fact not tightened all the way and they were going to take care of it. I will report back when I get the car on Monday - new gears and all!! yeeeehaaww!!

kevin

glad they looked at the drive shaft. i think this'll answer most of your problem.

i think everyone should check this out and report it to svt. evidently my notice to them fell on deaf ears a few months back.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Damn.. you're a youngster!! I've got you by 10 years! I just turned 43 ... actually just 2 days after buying the R!! :D

Just ask these guys that have met me, I am very mature for my age. LMAO

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
ok.. another update on the work being done on my R...

I talked to Steve at Houston Performance and he said they noticed the bolts on the driveshaft were in fact not tightened all the way and they were going to take care of it. I will report back when I get the car on Monday - new gears and all!! yeeeehaaww!!

I will check mine this weekend and report back. Can't say that I have noticed any kind of questionable sounds from the car, but you never know. Thanks all for the heads up, gota love this site. :)

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Just ask these guys that have met me, I am very mature for my age. LMAO

I'll agree with that. You know the movie "Driving Miss Daisy"? Now just picture Brian going around RA. That's how mature he drives! LOL

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Think you're mature for your age there Brian?

:D

I am half as old as Andy, + 5 years.

I am the youngster.

kevin

Originally posted by Dean99CobraV

I'll agree with that. You know the movie "Driving Miss Daisy"? Now just picture Brian going around RA. That's how mature he drives! LOL

ditto!!!!!!

also, remember who broke it first and found the problem for y'all to fix.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Checked mine tonight, found # 148 to be loose and #131 was good and tight. Explains why I havn't had any noises like you guys mentioned, cus 131 is the the one I actually drive. I have driven #148 less than 100 miles.

Thanks for the warning guys!!! (yes, you to kevin. :D)

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Is there a recall for the 200 R's for the Knuckle??? what is the problem with the Knuckle??? Does anyone have the recall number???

BRIMSTONE

Originally posted by Scoriox
Think you're mature for your age there Brian?

:D

I am half as old as Andy, + 5 years.

I am the youngster.

Another <ahem> mature youngster here at 27 years :)
Mike

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Terry Moenich
Is there a recall for the 200 R's for the Knuckle??? what is the problem with the Knuckle??? Does anyone have the recall number???
Terry,

the recall number is 01S15 ... check out the following web site for further information...

Knuckle recall for Cobra R

You should have received a recall letter in the mail from Ford? if not, you can get a blank copy from any SVT dealer. Then you need to fill it out and call a number (located on the recall notice) to get them to send your parts to your SVT dealer of choice. Then, you can schedule to bring it in for the recall fix. They will not let you just pick up the parts and install it yourself... I tried that! :fm:

Let me know if you have any problems with this?

btw: there is also a recall on the parking handbrake mechanism. I don't have that recall number readily available?...

Last edited:

kevin

as i've posted elsewhere here. when you have the knuckle work done. WATCH THEM DO IT THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE PROCESS. someof us have had nuts'bolts not properly tightened. my tie rod on thr right rear was not tightened and could have been desatrous. fortunatly, nothing broke. the dealer hads to replace two fairly new tires and redo the alighnment.

other have had worse. don't assume it's done right.

Users who are viewing this thread