2001 Cobra Convertible, Weird sudden shift in direction?

01LazerRedCobra

Established Member
Hello,

I would first like to thank the commenter in my last post who helped me get in the right direction with my new ride.

I have a stock (engine wise) 2001 Cobra Vert. I was driving and noticed some noise, long story, something in the rear end was worn and it is currently being replaced. Also I have some aftermarket rims that came on the car just for the sake so you have the most information.

I however noticed that I would be driving and my car would seem to just randomly dart right or left. Not going extremely fast or high RPMs just like 60 on the highway. I didn't know if this could be the bearing in the rear that was causing that or would it be something else. I had the car aligned less than a week ago right after I got it because it was out of line, it seems to be straight now however that issue is very interesting because it seems I have no control at that point. I have read about wheel hop, but not really sure if 60 mph stock engine at low rpms can cause such?

I have looked into the FTBR bushing kit for $695 and a subframe connector, just not exactly sure if this is my issue.

If anyone can chime in with anything I would be greatly appreciative and will try to provide any info I can currently.

01yellercobra

Established Member
More than likely something is loose or worn out and shifting randomly. I'd look over the front end pretty close. Could be a worn tie rod or two. Also look over your ball joints and steering rack bushings.

Another possibility is bump steer. That would happen when hitting bumps in the road. But I would imagine you'd have to be pretty low for that to become a concern.

01LazerRedCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reply,

I will check these out, I am not the most technically inclined when it comes to cars to be fair, but I know when something isn't right. I will say the ride is stock height. 74k original miles. I will look into figuring out these things and get back to the thread. After I get her back from getting the bearing replaced then I am gonna start after this.

Thanks very much!

When replacing these things (if they are the problem, and if you can tell me a good way to check would be great) What does something like that usually cost? If you have any clue.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
When the darting right/left happens, can you tell if it's the front end shifting first or the rear end? That information will be very helpful in the diagnosis. I take it that the steering feels tight at other speeds? Does the steering wheel move when it darts?

01LazerRedCobra

Established Member
For the most part it doesn't really do it, its very random and sporadic. To me it felt like the rear however it catches me off guard when it happens so I'm not prepared for it. To me, coming from a 2011 v6 here, the steering wheel isn't super stiff. This may or may not be normal for this year as I don't know. I am having my tie rods ball joints checked as well as the Axle nuts all around as I have read other places that this may be an issue. I get her back in like two days from the replacement in the rear so I will know more at that point. Think of anything it could be?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I assume you have wider than stock tires? Are you sure your cars not just getting out of the grove in the road?

01LazerRedCobra

Established Member
Just an update for those interested.

I had wheel bearings in both rear wheels out. The problem with the pull was the hub for the wheel bearing was pretty much destroyed causing the rear tire to wobble, luckily I caught this before it did something terrible. I had a few more small things fixed while he was in the rear and now the car runs on rails. I do appreciate all the feedback and help people provide on this forum.

Pics coming soon!

Users who are viewing this thread