2001 Cobra engine problems

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
i have a 2001 cobra, stock except for underdrive pulleys. Took the car on a small trip the other weekend and it did good and kinda on the way back i noticed that the car was real dead and could mash it and i would act like it couldn't get outta its on way. Kinda felt like it was flooding. I was running ngk tr6 plugs for a while and just figured one might be going bad. so i decided to change them. Replaced them with ngk tr6 new ones and put them in. Now car sounds EXACTLY like a 4 wheeler and its running like crap. when i apply gas down the road it is just dead and check engine light starts blinking and it has like a vibrating feel to the car. What could be the problem?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Flashing CEL usually means a misfire. Get it scanned and see which cylinder it is. It's probably a bad COP.

Oh, check and make sure all your connections to the COP's are tight. I had a problem crop up because I didn't make sure the number 1 COP connector clipped into place.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Aren't NGK TR6 preferred for a supercharged application?

Also, the perfect plugs for your NA setup if NGK TR55ix.

What did you gap the plugs to?

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
I gapped the plugs to 0.040. I have ran the tr6's for a long time. Almost 2 years now and havent had a problem with them. I put them in for the 100 shot that i used about a year and half ago and just never used the spray any more.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I gapped the plugs to 0.040. I have ran the tr6's for a long time. Almost 2 years now and havent had a problem with them. I put them in for the 100 shot that i used about a year and half ago and just never used the spray any more.

Gap them to 0.054

The CE light is indicative of a constant repeated misfire. If it's an isolated misfire, it goes away immediately, however in your case, there is a problem.

You might have cracked one of the plug's ceramic...or one of your COPs took a shit.

Users who are viewing this thread