2001 cobra, questions about short blocks

brando95

Established Member
so, i am picking up a 2001 cobra next week. i'm excited as hell to be back in a mustang. only thing is it may need an engine, but i'm getting a hell of deal, so i am ok with that. question is, i have a low mileage 2v engine in my garage. can i put the short block from this engine in the cobra? i know there are some things about compression ratios and such depending on which short block you use with the 01 4v heads, but i can't remember what it was.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The heads will bolt on. Compression will be low. I had a set of 2V pistons and if I had used them compression would've been in the 8's I think. Add in that it's an iron block and the crank is a cast 6 bolt set up I'd skip using that short block.

brando95

Established Member
Is there a short block from another ford vehicle that I could bolt in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mach 1s and Aviators are the two main engines people use. But you'd want to find one out of a Mach with a manual trans. They're the ones with a steel crank. The auto Mach's use a cast crank. I'm not sure about the Aviator.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
putting a 2V GT motor in a born Cobra is sacrilege, at least put a 03/04 Mach 1 with the forged crank or a 99-01 Cobra 4V

brando95

Established Member
Just so we are clear. I wouldnt be putting a 2v in the car. Just the short block. I would put the cobra heads on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

brando95

Established Member
here's deal. after i buy the car, it will take me a while to save the money to rebuild the cobra engine to how i want it built. what i want to do is drive the car while i am saving money to build the engine. my thoughts are that i would take the 2v short block, swap all the cobra stuff over to it, install it and run it until i can save the money to build the original engine. here is where i need help. i know that the c heads on 2v engines effects the compression ratio depending on whether or not the c heads go on a NPI or PI short block. i have read that c heads on a PI short block really lowers the compression ratio, making it a dog in NA form. conversely, i read that NPI short blocks with the c heads have a compression ratio that is quite close to the original cobra engine, making it good for NA applications. anybody have any thoughts on this? i know this is going to cause me more work, i honestly do not mind the work. IF the car needs an engine, i would really like to be able to drive it while saving to rebuild the original cobra engine, instead of just letting it sit and rot.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You will be around 9:1 compression with an NPI shortblock and a little lower than that with a PI (01-04). That is a large difference and will result in a large reduction in power compared to a factory Cobra. You'd be down 20-30rwhp in a car that makes less than 300rwhp stock.

OW99

Established Member
Doesn't sound like a problem if you need just a temporary fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
going to a cast crank engine will not be a step back in performance or capability as the rods and pistons will break long before the crank.

Mach 1, aviator, and marauder engines would be suitable replacements.

A PI 2v shortblock will result in an 8.8:1 compression ratio. If yours is an NPI the CR will be much more tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread