2001 engine removal

bent99

Established Member
Hi there I scored a 2001 cobra with a mere 8014 miles! The engine has a knock on start up like a dry start or something! Is it possible to remove engine and leave tranny in car ,the reason I ask this is I am gonna pull engine on my body shop lift (you know 3 feet off the ground lift)! It would be much easier if tranny can stay in! thanx for any help!

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
You might want to consider dropping it out the bottom. (motor and trans)
3 feet should be plenty of room to do it that way.

wallie40

Established Member
yes it removes just like any engine. If you have a lift, maybe pulling out the bottom as a whole unit would be quicker.

-Paul

bent99

Established Member
I never really thought about dropping it out the bottom! Is it not possible to unbolt the bell housing and slide it foward to clear the clutch and pul it out the top! I work on cars for a living so I am at least alright on working on cars , I just have not crossed paths with a 2001 cobra yet! thanx guys

mustangman36578

Established Member
for these cars its a lot easier taking it out the bottom with the k-member attatched. all you have to do is unbolt the k-member from the car and the engine will drop right out. its the easiest way to install the engine too. there is a full how-to right up of it on the internet too. not sure where it is though.

im pretty sure you would have enough room to slide it forward to remove just the engine though. theres a good amount of room in the front of the engine.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
yeah especially if you have a side-arm or two post style life, you just hang the calipers, unplug abs sensors, disconnect stuts, disconnect tie rod ends and hang rack, disconnect steering shaft, hang ac condenser and p/s pump, unplug connections to engine, maybe a couple other things, then i think just 4 bolt hold the k-member to the body, then you can lift the rest of the car right off...i've seen it done by 2 guys in less than 3 hours on an 03 cobra...

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
took me almost a week to wrestle mine out the top. I probably spent a good 10 hours getting her out. Granted, this was by myself on jackstands. I dropped the tranny though. I think you either have to drop the tranny or pull it out with the tranny. There is alot of room forward, but once you unbolt the motor mount, you still have to raise it to clear the stud to bring it forward. Plus, I used one of the bellhousing bolt holes to hook up the chain fo the lift.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
holy shit I get mod motors out in 3-4 hours from the top pulling the trans and motor together. to each his own tho i guess lol

Janstang

Established Member
holy shit I get mod motors out in 3-4 hours from the top pulling the trans and motor together. to each his own tho i guess lol
I was thinking the same thing.. I'm down to around 1 1/2-2hours depending on how motivated I am to get it out. Everyone has there preference for pulling the engine, I prefer out the top with the tranny attached.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member

I was thinking the same thing.. I'm down to around 1 1/2-2hours depending on how motivated I am to get it out. Everyone has there preference for pulling the engine, I prefer out the top with the tranny attached.

You guys want a cookie? It wasn't hard, I just took my time and was careful to mark everything. The wiring harness is huge and I don't want to screw it up. This was my first time pulling a mod motor, or anything newer than a 1973 for that matter. Plus it was done by myself, no helpers, after work as I had time to fiddle with it. Which it sounds like the op is a first timer as well. If I ever have to pull it again, it will come out much faster. My first tranny pull probably took 8 hours, not including the time to jack it up and pull the exhaust. Now, I can get it out in about and hour including the time to jack it up and pull the exhaust. No need for hate guys!:beer:

Janstang

Established Member
I'll take a white chip macadamia if you got one.;-) The wiring harness shouldn't have been an issue, its a 10mm bolt for the distribution block, unlock the other part at its connector above the distr. block, lay it across the top and call it done. The point being made is it can be done just as fast out the top.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Right, but if you are pulling the intake and heads (again, sounds like what the OP will do), it just gets in the way. So I had to pull it all out. Sorry, I only like oatmeal raisin with wheat flour, no mac nut chocolate here.

Last edited:

Janstang

Established Member
Damn.. Not big on oatmeal/raisin.. If that engines knocking I'd be pulling it and doing a teardown(most likely spun some rod bearings). I don't like leaving the tranny in, mainly because I have a hell of a time getting my arms up in there high enough to reach those top bellhousing bolts. So it's easier for me to pull the engine and tranny together.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
i clearly stated "to each his own" but I have gotten them out in less than 3hrs before too. know one is bragging or hating were just stating what works best for us. Each time you make a pull you find ways to make it faster and more stuff you can leave on or take off to make it easier.

carry on....lol

bent99

Established Member
just trying to figure it out

I am simply trying to figure out my best route with the 3-4 foot body lift I have in my garage! I really want to be carefull as the car has 8k miles and is absolutely mint! If I pull trans out with engine ,how high does car have to be lifted so the tail section clears the floor! I appreciate the info from all you blue oval fans! Damn I wish I was workin on some forced induction instead of trying to get it quiet! thanx guys:beer:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
with a 3-4 foot lift, you can go out the bottom. You need at least 2 feet to clear everything out the bottom. Build a cart to support the motor and tranny, lift the car up, lower it till the cart is supporting, unplug the harness from above, remove the battery cables, undo the coolant lines, remove the power steering pump(don't vent it or remove the lines), remove the ac compressor(again don't remove the lines), unbolt the k-member, raise the car, move the motor and tranny out the way, remove everything you need to, put the motor on a stand and get to work.

agood1

Anyone know where the write-up mentioned here might be? I have to pull the motor on my 99 cobra and I am trying to figure out which way to go.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread