2001 Svt Cobra solid axle swap

RoyRogers

Established Member
I have 2001 cobra and i am planning to do a solid axle swap because the car will be tracked often. All the threads i find cover 03 cobras getting the swap. Aside from A new gt catback and springs, can i reuse my driveshaft? The axle is coming from an 01 bullit and it comes with calipers, rotors, pads, parking cables, and gt shock. My car has tr3650 tranny ao would it bolt right up to the bullits if they have the same tranny as well??:shrug:

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
No you will need a gt driveshaft they an inch longer than the irs because the rear moves the driveshaft needs to be longer.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
No you'll need the GT drive shaft it's about 1 inch longer. The reason is the stick axle goes up and down and the DS has to be able to compensate for it where the IRS is fixed. You might be able to get away with it for a little while but if it tries to pull out of the trans you're screwed. It looks like you have the right swap parts, but you'll need the antilock tubing as well it unplugs under the rear seat.

RoyRogers

Established Member
where can i get the tubing you are reffering about? i can do away without the antilock brakes for now at least

blacksheep-1

Established Member
where can i get the tubing you are reffering about? i can do away without the antilock brakes for now at least

But why? I did the reverse of this swap (IRS into a GT) and the antilock has come in handy. Just go to a salvage yard and pull out the rear seat, you'll see the connection and then go under the car and get the rest, or call MPS auto salvage, they specialize in mustangs.
link: http://mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/

RoyRogers

Established Member
So the gt and cobra have the same abs module connections as the cobra? And the u joints would all be gt style I'm assuming. Thank you for all the help. This is my first post

OW99

Established Member
I used the stock driveshaft. Its about 1/4-3/8" shorter and I have no issues.

Edit: there really is no reason to worry about it. You ll twist the shaft before you break the yoke.

Last edited:

sleepermobile2

Established Member
I had IRS with a t 56 magnum, I didn't use a different drive shaft when I swapped to sra. I just changed the yoke and its an 01.

Users who are viewing this thread