2001 ZO6 Question

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
I test drove a bone stock yellow 01 Z06 with a hair over 4000 miles on the ticker yesterday and kinda liked it. Any known issues with that year Z? TIA :beer:

edit for photo:

id545_8.jpg

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not all of them were oil burners, but a good number of them were. Most oil consumption on any LSx based car whether it be an F-body, Corvette or even a GM truck can be traced back to the PCV system allowing too much oil to be aspirated back in to the intake tract. There is a new PCV valve that can help if not eliminate consumption all together. Lots of guys have luck with this and a catch can. Some cars had ring sealing issues, and would get oil blow by, not as common, but still a potential issue. You could also lose due to improperly seated or worn valve guides. I would definitely run the VIN of that car with a local dealer to see what kind of service history it has had, and if it has ever been in for oil consumption. Such a low mile example, I doubt you will find much of a service history. Pull the air bridge off and open the TB blade, feel the back of the blade, if its wet with oil its consuming oil thru the PCV tract, which is an easy fix.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
There was a recall to fix the oil problems. Depending on your case the dealer would install a baffle under the intake or if needed they would replace the rings. My dad has an 02' and after a few runs at the track you could check the oil and there would be none on the dip stick. He took it to the dealer and they installed the baffle and said if that did not work they would install new rings. The car has not used any more oil since. BTW his car had 8K miles on it at the time.

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
I just did an abundance of research on the 01 z06's... I'm in the market for a z06 myself and had only been looking at 02-04 models because of that oil consumption issue i'd been hearing about with the 01's.. there are several threads about it on some of the corvette forums.. In short, it was an issue with some of the cars.. go read some of the threads on it as they are very informative.. some people make a big deal about it.. others say it was blown way out of proportion... several guys with 01's chimed in and said they've never had an oil issues with their 01's.. in the event you decide to go with an 01 model just do the history check on it.. run the vin# and carfax.. one of the reason's i'm considering an 01 is because i'm finding they are $4-5k+ cheaper than 02+ models.. other than the oil consumption thing, they are 20hp less (385hp for the 01 v/s 405hp for the 02+ models) and may have a few other small differences... most guys will tell you on the street you won't even notice that hp difference anyway.. if you plan to mod the car then it becomes a mute point pretty much... the thousands you'll save buying the 01 you can use for mods ! :) Good Luck ! (by the way, that yellow 01 you drove looks great) ! I test drove my first z06 this past friday.. it was an 03 model and i really liked it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread