2002 Ford Focus SVT rough idle and clanking noise

RSA-Mustang

Established Member
Car has 138800 miles and recently started having a rough idle after I drove it last Friday morning at 3am in 60 degree CA weather. I usually have the car warming up for about 5 minutes before I drive it but this time it only ran for about a minute. Noticed the rough idle whenever I came to a full stop and engine was a bit louder than normal at 70mph

Today the engine started making a clunking sort of noise whenever I am stopped at an intersection. Put it in gear and drive and noise goes away at 2000 rpms or above. Stopped I revved the engine to 2000rpm and held it there while in neutral and noise subsided. No CEL or other lights on the dash and car doesn't die. Hoping someone could help diagnose the problem before I take it in to Ford.

Here's what I am thinking about doing.
1. Look into the problem and possibly give it a tune up with my local mechanic
2. Take it to Harrold Ford and get the timing belt changed (safe measure) I bought it used and last time belt was changed was 80,000 miles according to previous owner.

Car is my daily driver and I usually put about 300-400 miles a week driving to the bay area and to work.

I will take my own video later today and post it but it sounds similar to the one in this link MINUS THE CEL and engine is slightly quieter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pspyGLTbNE (reference vid, NOT MY CAR)

RSA-Mustang

Established Member
Couldn't find an answer online anywhere but its all figured out. That noise means the idle pulleys are going out. I replaced them along with serpentine belt and timing belt since I was unsure when it was last replaced and problem is now fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread