2002 Ford Mustang Lightning Swap

joseph02

Established Member
So I did a lightning swap to my 2002 Mustang. It has a lower 6lb pulley with 255 fuel pump. when i took it to the dyno shop it shows lean in fuel in 3,000 RPM. i am using returnless fuel rails out of the 4.6l 2v. the problem is with 3,000 RPM i am getting around 350whp and around 500 tq which I dont think is much for the fuel system I am using with oem Mustang GT fuel tank.
the Mechanic at the Dyno shop told me that the fuel pump might be sucking the hat empty before it gets refill with fuel. also, some people did holes on the hat to make it fill faster but that doesnt work every time. Not sure what the problem is ?. is there any solution than changing the fuel tank ? i am aiming to 470 whp and 550 tq.

Dusten

Established Member
So I did a lightning swap to my 2002 Mustang. It has a lower 6lb pulley with 255 fuel pump. when i took it to the dyno shop it shows lean in fuel in 3,000 RPM. i am using returnless fuel rails out of the 4.6l 2v. the problem is with 3,000 RPM i am getting around 350whp and around 500 tq which I dont think is much for the fuel system I am using with oem Mustang GT fuel tank.
the Mechanic at the Dyno shop told me that the fuel pump might be sucking the hat empty before it gets refill with fuel. also, some people did holes on the hat to make it fill faster but that doesnt work every time. Not sure what the problem is ?. is there any solution than changing the fuel tank ? i am aiming to 470 whp and 550 tq.
You wl know at that power level lightnings typically run dual 255s?

joseph02

Established Member
i have searched the internet, and the solution i have got is to use a 03 cobra hat. I have 255lph pump and another one that is AEM 320lph, Do you think it is fine to use both pumps or will the 320lph flow more and delete the 255lph ? Also, when i went to AEM website they says that the 340lph support up to 1000hp, So do you think if i just use the 320 lph will support 470whp and 550 wtq ? as I mentioned I am using 4.6l fuel rails.
any ideas would be great. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

joseph02

Established Member
By the way, Does the stock lightning comes with single fuel pump or duel pumps ? how many LPH they are pushing ?

whobock

Tipton Co. Garbage Truck
Established Member
Stock lightning comes with 2 pumps. iirc they are 155 each. One of the first things guys do is switch them out to dual 255s.
I don't think it would hurt to run both pumps. One is just gonna be working harder than the other.
Don't run the 320 by itself.

Not sure how the return less system works but you need to make sure fuel pressure is rising at 1:1

That's 1 # more of fp for every # of boost. A lightning should be right at 40psi at idle with the vacuum line off. When you get in boost fp should rise with boost.
If you see 10#s fp should be 50 etc.

What injectors are you using?

Last edited:

joseph02

Established Member
Stock lightning comes with 2 pumps. iirc they are 155 each. One of the first things guys do is switch them out to dual 255s.
I don't think it would hurt to run both pumps. One is just gonna be working harder than the other.
Don't run the 320 by itself.

Not sure how the return less system works but you need to make sure fuel pressure is rising at 1:1

That's 1 # more of fp for every # of boost. A lightning should be right at 40psi at idle with the vacuum line off. When you get in boost fp should rise with boost.
If you see 10#s fp should be 50 etc.

What injectors are you using?

I am using the stock lightning injectors

Users who are viewing this thread