2002 GT 4.6 2V Spark Plug Tips/avoid blow out?

KITT

Established Member
I've been starting to go through and address every issue of my GT since I haven't driven it since December. A year ago I picked up some cheap Autolite Copper plugs to swap in and never got around to doing it. I'm not highly modified so the copper plugs were just fine for me. However, because of the Ford Engineering of these 2V heads being the lack of threads there has been discrepancy on how to install them. I guess the simple questions are to use anti seize or not, I plan to torque them to spec eventhough people say you don't need to, but I'm worried about them backing out and don't want to be forced into doing my coyote swap early.

Any advice on what worked for you or the best way to go about it is appreciated. I currently have 105K miles on the engine and the plugs have never been changed. I am running lean, so this is something that needs addressed in my tune up plans.

Thanks!

Kornilov

Established Member
I've been starting to go through and address every issue of my GT since I haven't driven it since December. A year ago I picked up some cheap Autolite Copper plugs to swap in and never got around to doing it. I'm not highly modified so the copper plugs were just fine for me. However, because of the Ford Engineering of these 2V heads being the lack of threads there has been discrepancy on how to install them. I guess the simple questions are to use anti seize or not, I plan to torque them to spec eventhough people say you don't need to, but I'm worried about them backing out and don't want to be forced into doing my coyote swap early.

Any advice on what worked for you or the best way to go about it is appreciated. I currently have 105K miles on the engine and the plugs have never been changed. I am running lean, so this is something that needs addressed in my tune up plans.

Thanks!

Toss the autolites, pick up the appropriate Motorcraft plugs for your car and just use a light, and I meanlight smear of anti-seize on the threads. Thread the plugs in hand tight and torque them to 13 ft/lbs. Its pretty straightforward, just follow the above steps and you'll be good.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I'd like to tell you there is a 100% guaranteed way to not have them blow out, but there is not. I've owned my car for 5 years, and had another one for 2 years before it. I have ALWAYS anti seized, and properly torqued every single plug I have put into both cars. Both cars have still managed to blow a plug out at one point in their life. Likely the damage was already done by the time I ever got the cars, seeing as they were both 70k mile cars when I bought them, but there is no sure fire way to make sure it won't do it.

My best advice would be do the proper things to install them and always pay attention, they will definitely start to make an exhaust leak type sound when they are loose. So if you ever suspect you have one backing out take the time to pull the coil pack and check. Mine always managed to happen after I had put headers on a car or had the H pipe off and I thought it was just an exhaust leak lol

JodieK

Ford S.M. Tech (retired)
Established Member
I always install them dry and torque them to 15 ft-lbs. The only time I had one blow out was when I used the factory torque spec of 13 ft-lbs. Ford has published multiple specs for the 2-valve, 13 to 16 ft-lbs depending on the model/year. I wouldn't go above 18 ft-lbs.

Basically, not enough - they loosen up: too much - they blow the threads out with the plugs.

JodieK, Ford senior master tech 22 years (retired.)

KITT

Established Member
Thanks so much everyone for the advice. I think after the first install I will check them a week later, than probably just check the torque every oil change or as needed.

My only question is, granted I'd probably get motorcraft plugs if I could, however what's wrong with Autolite Copper plugs for awhile, since I already have them?

Users who are viewing this thread