2002 mustang turbo header question 5.0 to 4.6 conversion

markcass123

Established Member
Hey everybody,

Figured I might as well join the forum as I am starting an elaborate project. Picked up a 2002 mustang gt for $500, the mods will start as I intend on building a forged 4.6 2v block and give it either a twin turbo or single turbo set up. Today I bought a t56 trans from somebody on craigslist and he had a turbo system that he wants to sell to me as well. All it really is, is headers w/ one side having turbo flanges, some piping for a 5.0 kit with a garrett t60 (quite a bit of shaft play but not contacting the housing yet) for cheap. I was initially planning on running my turbo piping from the collectors but this seems like a decent opportunity to possibly make a move on some headers to directly mount to the turbo. I am aware that 4.6 and 5.0 have significantly different exhaust ports and bolt patterns. My question is has anyone ever cut the flanges off and welded 4.6 flanges on a header to make these 5.0 turbo headers useable? I have a plasma cutter and a nice mig welder. In addition I have access to a water jet to make the flanges for the header (trace a 4.6 header gasket, draw up in cad and cut it out of steel). Does this seem feasible? I ask because i cant really locate inexpensive turbo manifolds for a 4.6 2v. Should i continue with my plan to run from the collectors or should I give it a shot to make this 5.0 turbo manifold work?

Thanks for any input and I look forward to being a contributor on the forum-
Mark

peterlocal22

Established Member
I have a set of headers for 4.6 l conversion that im selling. They were very expensive when I had them made and Ill let them go for cheap because there old and have a couple leaks.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread