2003/2004 Cobra?

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
So after selling my GTO, I'm looking at something that is a mix of comfortable, looks nice and powerful/future potential.

My top pick right now is a C5 Z06. I came from a 94 RX7 to my GTO and really missed how light of a car the RX7 was compared to the heavy 3875lbs (or something like that) GTO. If I picked up a C5Z I would likely have to pull a $4-5k loan to get a low mileage/stock Z06 which I would then have to pay off and then I could start modding it from there.

If I looked at a Cobra, I could probably find an already KB/Whippled Cobra for around my price limit ($23-$24k) maybe? I know the Cobra isn't the lightest and best handling car either, compared to the Vette, but how could you NOT have fun with 600-700rwhp sitting at your foot.

My question to you guys would be, is there more potential in the Cobra or Z06 once I open mod money. Once a Cobra hits KB/Whipple charger and that 600-700rwhp, where does it go from there if it wants more power? A stock Z already puts down around 380-390 to the wheels. Add turbos/sc and you can get them into the 500-600rwhp too at a lighter car than the Cobra and still pulling 20+mpg. (I don't even know average MPG on Cobras, not a selling point but still good to know)

ddurnan

VET ETR
Established Member
Turbo or TT would be next step and then you can get it to the 1000+rwhp

As far as milage, you can get 16 to 25mpg depending on how you drive...

Last edited:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i've got as much as 24mpg on all interstate.

after twin screw you can go with a bigger inlet to the supercharger... nos.. or you can go eaton with a turbo, or eaton with twin turbo.... twin turbo:D

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have to spend?

It cost me 2x the money when I bought it new to make it a fast good handler.

The price of modding cars has gone through the roof in the past couple of years.

If you have your eyes on a Z06 double that.
Don't forget insurance, basic upkeep.. Even a GT500 is 2x what it cost to mod a Terminator.
Get your ass to work!

Stick your hand on your wallet and make a rational decision.
Jeff

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
Yea I understand that the Cobra is going to be cheaper to get to the high hp than the Vette as they already have an FI on it + forged bottom end. What I'm looking for is probably 600-700rwhp for now and then once I get another car to replace it, I may make it a project car for just wild HP. I would hope 600-700rwhp to the wheels would satisfy me, but who knows. I thought 400+ in the GTO would satisfy me, but doesn't...

Let's just say for now my budget is $23k because that's what I'm looking to get into right now. Once the small loan is paid off, I can then start to add more money into it. With the GTO I dropped around $3k into it to get it to 423 (LT headers, midpipes, cam, upgraded valvetrain, ported TB)

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
Go drive a z06 then drive a cobra to completely different cars. Comes down to which one you like best.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
600-700 is pretty easy anymore with the advances/sizes of the blowers.All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
That's why I am trying to budget an estimated cost.

What are other costs needed for the Cobra. Upgraded sc, clutch, fuel system, what else? Need to touch the internals at all?

So most of you guys went with an upgraded S/C, how much did it end up costing with all the mods you need to do to support.

How much would it be if I just went straight from turbo.

I know if I went with a stock Z, a S/C or turbo is around $6-$7k + costs of supporting mods. That'd get the Z probably around high 500rwhp.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
That's why I am trying to budget an estimated cost.

What are other costs needed for the Cobra. Upgraded sc, clutch, fuel system, what else? Need to touch the internals at all?

So most of you guys went with an upgraded S/C, how much did it end up costing with all the mods you need to do to support.

How much would it be if I just went straight from turbo.

I know if I went with a stock Z, a S/C or turbo is around $6-$7k + costs of supporting mods. That'd get the Z probably around high 500rwhp.
What is a basic Z06, 80K?
Remember I bought the car new in 2004.

Ok, let's face it you will never see a Chevy in my driveway.
For that matter Chevy maybe something you may have to look-up in the has-been dictionary unless a miracle happens.
Far as Corvette the nameplate going it's own way, we shall see. I don't see it but to honest hope I'm wrong.
Ford guys need something to beat-up on. The new Camaro is some kind of a joke.
Weighing-in as much as a an F-150.
There is very little a properly set-up Terminator can't do the Z06 can't. Ok weight distribution and a well set-up IRS helps big time.
Griggs try to sell me their SLA RR set-up. My response, "Sell it to drag racers, I'm not yanking out suspension that can be set-up to be killer." the newer snakes capability except in a staright line. Not everybody on this board lives and breaths drag racing.
The Z06 is much more well balanced with a transaxle..
Anyway, personal prefs.

Talk to to BruceAC427, he has some great parts and is a dyed-inthe-wool Ford guy. Bruce has a big head but seeks to be approachable.
I don't think you'd be banned for opting for a Z06.

Last edited:

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
It's a C5 Z06, not the new C6 Z06. The car is going to be a daily driver so taking it to the drag will be rare until I have a second car just incase something breaks while dragging.

lx347cid

Established Member
I was in your exact shoes about 1 month ago - 2003 cobra or C5Z06?
I bought the Cobra. I like both cars and drove both. Hands down the vette is faster stock vs stock and the vette is just a way all around better car but i chose the cobra for easy modifications, great sound, and has 4 seats( I have a child), and easier to work on. plus i think its more rare of a car as it was only made 2 yrs. I'll get a vette again when im 50.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
First off good luck on your search, whatever you may decide. Now is the time to get some fantastic deals on great cars! With that being said the C5Z lays down 340-360rwhp normally, not 380-390rwhp. They are much lighter and more nimble car for sure, their handling is without a doubt superior to the Cobra.

But modability hands down goes to the Cobra, it's bolt-on power potential is just unreal and cheap. A H/C C5Z will lay down 440-470rwhp and will run with your average ported pullied Cobra. A good H/C car with a tune and supporting mods will run you $4k-$6k easily, and ported/pullied Cobra along with tuning and supporting mods will run you $2500-$3500. At that point you can get a little more radical and upgrade to single blade TB/Plenums and lower pulleys to get over the 530+rwhp range in the Cobra for another $700 or so. Or for $3k + supporting mods (another $2k or so for fuel mods and intake/exhaust of your choice) you could have a twin screw blower at 600-650rwhp.

The C5Z is a great platform and hell of a car, it will outhandle the Cobra and get much better gas mileage. When modded they can be monsters, but those mods just come at a much higher price than the mods for the Cobra.

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
Like I said, the Z06 has it's pros just like the Cobra does. I have yet to drive either the Cobra or Z06 but I would guess that the Cobra is going to have to same feel as my GTO as far as handling goes and just a heavier car in general.

Obviously the Cobra's aren't known much for cutting through the hills like the Z06's are but the Cobra's do have amazing straight line power.

Like I said, I would love to have the best bang for the buck car as far as my budget goes which will be around $23k for now. That $23k will be able to get me into a pretty nice low mileage Z06. $23k I have no idea what it will get me as far as a Cobra goes. If I would try to find a stock Cobra and decide where I want to go with the car (KB or TT/Turbo) or if I'll be able to find an already modded Cobra for that price.

Vae_Victus

Established Member
Well I dont know how much of a "similar" feel you'll get between the GTO and the Cobra. I think you'd be quite surprised by the handling of the 03/04's...albeit not a z06 but for a pony car its very damn good. And here's the thing u need to think about as well. You mentioned you will not be hitting the drag strip due to fearing something bad might happen and at the moment u would only have one car...if thats the case then why is handling such a huge issue for u since most likely u will not be hitting the road course or open track anytime soon? A lot of ppl online talk so much about handling and make it such a HUGE stigma when in all reality 99% of those same ppl will NEVER hit a local track or push their cars to such limits. So with that having been said I obviously do not know ur situation but simply trying to make a point...handling is important but unless ur gonna track ur car and drive it like u stole it then I would concentrate on my overall goal "to go faster."

Going fast is very very very easy with the cobra. Even at stock levels the car is very quick even for being a pig (36xx lbs for the coupe...vert even heavier). But with a little modding that weight disadvantage wont be noticed unless ur running c6z's all the time.
here is a list of pros and cons of each car that I feel most would agree with:

Cobra Pros:

Cheaper than Z06, easier to tune, cheaper to mod, comes stock with iron block and forged internals (huge plus when modding), easy to swap for a twin screw (direct bolt on for the most part), sounds like a BEAST, the s/c whine is pure sex, INSTANT trq, very little maintenance issues, has 4 seats (that can be a con as well depending on ur current situation), amazing race bucket seats, very rare (at least where i'm from), looks meaner than a z (my opninion lol), decent mpg depending on ur driving, comes in a convertible option if ur into that topless look, handles well.

Cobra Cons:

Weighs as much as a train, IRS needs a little tweeking, wheel hop (for the most part can be solved by intalling dr's or better street tires), heating issues at WOT past 140 mph due to small clearance between the pistons and cylinder walls (honestly i was gonna put in the pros section that the engine is virtually indestructible which it is for the most part but there have been many engine failures due to wot runs past the 140 mark...its the engine's achilles' heel).

C5Z Pros:

Track monster, very stylish (exterior only), very light (30xx lbs compared to cobra's 36xx), very very fast when stock and even faster when modded (obvious i know lol), constant power thru the rpms, better gearing than cobra, better aerodymanics than cobra, better top speed (tho lets be honest not many runs go past 160 mph)

C5Z Cons:

Modding isn't cheap (u need almost twice as much money to mod the z as u would for the cobra), doesnt sound as mean as the cobra (i am biased tho), disgusting interior i'm sorry...even the cobra's doesnt look that bad, if u wanted to upgrade to forced induction the wallet inspector is going to visit u and thats the end of that.

So...after a long ass post it comes to one simple task. TEST DRIVE! Take both for a spin and u'll know what u want. I was in ur position 3 years ago and after driving both and learning of the cobra's potential it was an easy decision for me and have never looked back. Either car u choose u will love WAY MORE than ur GTO. Good luck! :beer:

Last edited:

HardHitter2k4

Established Member
Vae thank you for the information! I will touch on a few things

As far as "handling" goes, I'm more of a straight line performance person as going sideways around a turn really isn't my thing but I think what I mean by handling is the ease and no worry of taking a turn decently fast. I know when I had my 94 RX7 with coilovers, I would hit turns and have no worry about my rear end swinging out or body roll etc. I don't know if it's because it was such a light car or due to how much lower it is than most cars. But again, I rather have that power to hit it whenever I see a nice open straight road.

You say that the install of a KB/Whipple is basically a direct bolt on? I've never installed an FI before, but I've installed the cam in my GTO and was wondering how difficult it would be on the Cobra if I did this mod. Also, to reach the 600-700rwhp area, with the forged stock engine be able to hold that or will I have to drop some money into the engine for upgrading some parts.

I know when you're pushing 600-700rwhp, MPG isn't going to be on the mind, but what is the average MPG for stock, modified and then twin screwed Cobras city and highway. I know that my GTO averages around 13mpg with the tune that I have and I reach around 200-230 miles per tank. I do mostly city driving so the cam I believe really kills it. I don't really smash on it either. Casually build up to 3-4k and then I'll shift. On the freeway I usually cruise around 75-80mph.

I don't know how many times I'll be running 140mph+. I hit 155mph in my RX8 a while ago and lets just say that car is totaled now and I was lucky to come out of that without a scratch let alone alive.

I think the Cobra's sound GREAT with the whine of the SC and the exhaust. My GTO has LT headers/catless mids and a large cam. Although I've kept the catback system to be quiet, I have DMH cutouts on my midpipes and when they are open it runs basically as open headers which I LOVE! and gets so many compliments. I was wondering if the Cobras are able to have the same and if it will affect tuning if I have them open.

How much are dyno tunes usually for the Cobra? I know that shops are different and charge different prices, but just an average price. I know for the GTO, it was $300 for a dyno tune and everything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread