2003 gt mustang engine durability?

Nickynick

Established Member
hey guys, i have a 96 cobra but was recently offered a trade for my bike on a 03 gt with 150k miles.. im a little weary due to the amount of miles. oil changed every 3k blah blah. what are the internals lookin like at that mileage. i have a 4.6 as well but only at 95k and its still fidgity.

can anyone give me some input?

saleensonoma

Established Member
mine had160 with quite a bit of track time with no issues. also 125 shot then turbo now stock and sold that way. I had a few with higher miles that took a beating. Just make sure to check car over really well and listen for odd noises. If you can take car to very reputable shop to have them go over car.!
Also my bullitt has higher miles also with numerous passes down the 1/4 with 125 wet shot. brief period of 76mm turbo action but pulling motor for mmr motor bc I dont want to destroy bullitt matching number motor. I also auto x the bullitt and 1/4

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
If its been maintained mileage is just a number. There's a reason the 4.6 was put in many different cars, because of reliability. There's a member on here with a 300k mile cobra I believe.

coposrv

Established Member
Also, how many crown Vic's are out there pounding the pavement in police and or taxi duty? It's a pretty reliable platform.

spike_africa

Established Member
120k miles on my GT, and it has had nitrous on it since 24 oe 26k miles. I beat the piss out of it. Stock long block still and the valve covers have never been off it.

50 Proof

Established Member
Intake manifold gaskets will fail with mileage and valve seals turn to shit with high mileage. Some people complain about spark plugs ejecting on the 2v, I haven't had that problem with mine. It's a good motor that'll run for a long time if maintained, but it will need maintenance to make it to 300k miles. You see with mustangs it's not necessarily the motor you have to worry about with mileage, it's everything else like sensors, hoses, bushings, interior, etc

Last edited:

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
when I totalled my 01 GT it had 106k miles on it, I bought it with 50k. I had the car for 5 years and honest to god there wasnt a single day that went by where I didnt beat the s*** out of that car. IMO they are very reliable and can take a beating.

pinoybruin

Established Member
Should last if the maintenance is done. Like stated above other things will wear out first. Blown spark plugs do occur as I am always holding my breath. There is was also an IM recall back in the day but since that is an 03 it should have been taken care of with an aluminum cross over. The only bad thing about that IM is that it can also crack in the back by the heater hose. Other than they they can hold about 400rhp no problem stock.

Users who are viewing this thread