2003 K&N Remove Silencer?

silver cobra

Established Member
I was going to switch out the stock air filer with the K&N and remove the silencer, however I noticed the silencer on the 2003 Cobra is quite a bit bigger than the silencer on the GT's. Is it better to leave the silencer in and pull cool air from the fender or remove the silencer and pull, possibly more hot air from under the hood?

Silver Cobra?

KingKobra

Established Member
Different Opinions:

1) Leave it on, it's funneling cold air to enter the intake without meddling with hot air under the hood.

2) Take if off, because the filter is right by the fender with the housing shield opening facing the fender hole. Plus, have you heard how much louder my S/C is now?

3) The volume of air is restricted due to the bottleneck effect the silencer puts on the intake. SVT had to silence the sounds to pass emmissions, so take that thing off.

There are some other ones out there... pick one. ;) I chose removal and I'm find with it.

:beer:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I removed mine as I am delighted with how much louder the supercharger sounds with it off.

If I get froggy (hopefully somebody else has already done this) I'll do dyno runs with and without the silencer.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
I put in the K&N and put back the silencer. Much cooler air and I think your get plenty of air into the silencer. Just MHO.

KingKobra

Established Member
Yea, Fast03Cobra, I'm really only removing the silencer to get more noise... not really thinking that it assists with power.

lol regarding your sig: the "dreaded baby seat, and s/c decal :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread