2004 Cobra CD Changer Harness

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
www.blitzsafe.com is currently working on a CD changer harness for the 2004 Cobras. This will allow us to connect any CDDJ device to our stereos and access it with the "CD/AUX" button on the front of the stereo. It will allow us to use the Phatbox MP3 players and any stock ford 6 disc changers as well.

I'll keep everyone informed when it is completed, but it might help for a few of you to write them and ask about it, if this is something you're interested in. A lot of interest might cause them to put a few more man hours into it.

j card

Established Member
There isn't an Aux button, but there is an aux input on the back of the radio. If you have an adapter plugged into the aux input, you press the CD button once for the Indash changer, then press it a second time and it will go to the AUX input. Press it a third time and it will go back to the indash CD changer - it will just switch back and forth between the two. This is how I am feeding the signal from my Ipod into the stock head unit - works great.

novi408

Established Member
Do you need a special adapter for the aux input or is it an 1/8" stereo plug, or?? I was wondering if I would be able to do this for my Rio. If it is fairly easy, that would be great.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by novi408
Do you need a special adapter for the aux input or is it an 1/8" stereo plug, or?? I was wondering if I would be able to do this for my Rio. If it is fairly easy, that would be great.

You need a special adapter - made by PIE. The part number is FRDN-AUX. Their website is http://www.pie.net

After that, you'll just need an RCA to 1/8" Headphone plug adapter cable. You'll have a direct feed from the Rio into the deck - no lame FM modulators.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
The 2004 and 2003 have different stereos. The 2003 already has a harness that will do all of these things.

the 2004 stereo DOES have an AUX button, and a SAT button for satellite radio. The adapter from PIE will not work on a 2004 mustang.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Interesting news...two vendors today have told me that the 2004 head unit is not compatible with a CDDJ device. I'm pretty sure that is ridiculous, however. That PIE website says that the 2003 head unit isn't CD changer capable either, but if that is true, I've been lied to by people who have no reason to lie to me. *shrug*

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A 6 DISC CHANGER OR PHATBOX ATTACHED TO YOUR HEAD UNIT?!!??

j card

Established Member
I have no idea about the 04 head unit - just my 03. Even though the PIE site says it doesn't work, several people on this site had used it before I got mine - so I tried it, and it works on my deck too. I think your best bet is to try it through a local dealer - they may try it out and not charge you anything if it won't work.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
What you are using the PIE adapter for is not a CDDJ device. I'm am asking if anyone has a FORD 6 Disc Changer or a Phatbox or some other CDDJ device attached. It could be that the AUX button on our 2004 head unit is for non-CDDJ devices, which means you would need a play button, and stop button, etc. on the device you are attaching. CDDJ devices are controlled through the head unit buttons.

j card

Established Member
At first, I didn't realize that the 03 and 04 decks are different. After that, I was referring to Novi408's post about using the Rio in his 03.

I understand the way these types of inputs work (I was in the audio industry for 13 years - the last 6 at the corporate level). If the input has control signals - it may be used either way, as an aux or as a "changer control" input. If there is no control bus there, then it would be an aux only. If it looks like the plug on the 03, my guess would be that there is a control bus of some sort and a signal input - if that's the case, then what you want to do should be possible, you just need somebody to sort out the protocall and the voltages and the pin configuration. You might check with Peripheral Electronics and Soundgate also.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Here's what the 2004 guys are dealing with:

front.jpg

back.jpg

connectors.jpg

Here's what the 2003's "worldplug" configuration looks like:

worldplug.jpg

The plugs are shaped completely different.

The 2004 configuration is called "Phase II" but the standard Phase II harness does not use the same connectors as our cars do. It connects to the long rectangle and the center rectangle, whereas our cars utilize the long rectangle on the right and the small rectangle on the left, and nothing plugs into the center rectangle.

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by j card
At first, I didn't realize that the 03 and 04 decks are different. After that, I was referring to Novi408's post about using the Rio in his 03.

I understand the way these types of inputs work (I was in the audio industry for 13 years - the last 6 at the corporate level). If the input has control signals - it may be used either way, as an aux or as a "changer control" input. If there is no control bus there, then it would be an aux only. If it looks like the plug on the 03, my guess would be that there is a control bus of some sort and a signal input - if that's the case, then what you want to do should be possible, you just need somebody to sort out the protocall and the voltages and the pin configuration. You might check with Peripheral Electronics and Soundgate also.

Thanks for the links. Peripheral Electronics and Soundgate looked pretty good. I e-mailed them with my problem and included the pictures above. I have this $1000 Phatbox MP3 player sitting around here, and I'm sick of not being able to connect it. I hope some place can help me out with this.

novi408

Established Member
Thanks for the help J Card. That is exactly what I am looking for. If I can get another dock for my Rio and find somewhere to put it in the car, I could just run the RCA line outs from that right to the head unit.

novi408

Established Member
It is interesting that www.pie.net says that part FRDN-AUX won't work with the '03 6 disc in dash head unit. J Card, are you using this adapter successfully? Also, I was surprised how expensive it is. Thanks.

j card

Established Member
Yeah, the site says it won't work, but it works fine on mine and on an F250 owned by a friend of mine - Both aren't supposed to work according to the PIE application guide. I wondered about it too, but several people on this board did it before I did - and it worked for them, which is why I went ahead and tried it. I ordered it direct from PIE, but you might be able to find it for less at a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread