2004 Cobra or 2013 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urlacher54

Established Member
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I can't chose which direction to go? I am looking to get back in the Mustang game but can't decide which to go for?

I recently rented a 2012 5.0 for the weekend and simply fell in love with it, but my concern is its ability to handle mods as far as a supercharger! I know Ford Racing offers kits that will bump the 5.0 up to 525hp and 624hp, but I'm not sure how durable that motor is without changing some of the internals?

I've read the stock cobra engine can handle up around 800hp before you need to change the internals? I'm not looking for the fastest beast out there but I want to have something that can hold up to around 550rwhp and not worry. Not to mention a Cobra is a Cobra and that's bad ass! Any input to help me make my decision would be greatly appreciated.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
5.0 is a better car all the way around. Throw in the aftermarket support and it eclipses the Cobra and GT500 in short order...usually with money left over.

Not to mention it is a new car. Trying to find an 03-04 Cobra that doesn't need immediate TLC is tough.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
i like the comfort features of the new 5.0 but i'm a Cobra guy.
you said it best right here...."Not to mention a Cobra is a Cobra and that's bad ass!"
depends on your budget as well. good luck with your decision!

SVT543of2003

Established Member
If you have no stang right now, IMO get a 5.0 Coyote.....I have both a cobra and Coyote, the only reason to get the cobra is you want more raw feel, you want 6-800 hp on a stock motor or the insurance for a 2011+ is too high.

Otherwise, the new Coyote is badazz too.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
Something that no one has brought up yet. Entry level price on each. A nice 04 cobra will cost you about 21-25k at most a brand new GT can be 30-40k So there can be a gap of anywhere from 5k-15k dollars. And three to five years from now for example you can sell the Cobra for almsot the same money you paid for it and the 13 GT will have depreciated 10-15k. So from a financial point of view you should get the more limited production version and also from a pure coolness standpoint it is more special to drive something you know not everyone could have due to the limited amount of them.

That being said, if you do spend on the top end of the 04 Cobra, 25k will get you a whippled one. So too me I'd rather have a limited production 600hp Cobra than a newer albeit nicer overall comfort and drivability normal production run car with 400hp.

Sorry to be so long winded, There is really no better bang for your buck than a 03-04 Cobra right now.

blwn89gt

Established Member
I paid 16k for my zinc yellow 03 back in august. It had just over 17k on the clock and needed NO TLC.

Urlacher54

Established Member
If you have no stang right now, IMO get a 5.0 Coyote.....I have both a cobra and Coyote, the only reason to get the cobra is you want more raw feel, you want 6-800 hp on a stock motor or the insurance for a 2011+ is too high.

Since you own both, how much driver space does the Cobra have compared to the new 5.0! I'm 6'4 and was pretty comfortable in the 5.0 I rented.

Which ever I get will be the one I keep for the rest of my life. Money won't play a role in my decision, just which one can handle the mods?

jbou91

Established Member
I paid 16k for my zinc yellow 03 back in august. It had just over 17k on the clock and needed NO TLC.

Sounds like you got a steal, if I could find one in that price range I'd buy one in a heart beat.

I've asked myself this same question many times and I finally decided I'd rather get a supercharged car (personally looking at Cobra's and GT500's) rather than the 2011+ 5.0. I want power so already having the supercharger makes upgrading easier.

4601S/C

Established Member
The new 5.0's are amazing machines. Check out their forum on the site. They have their issues like any car, but they seem to able to take quite a bit of power. Crusing their part of the site I saw a few piston issues, but it seemed unclear if it was the car or the tuners at the time. The manual trans seems to have an occaisional problem or two as well. I'd never sell my Cobra for one, but a ton of great R&D went into making the new 5.0 and most recent itteration of the SN-197 chassis into, what I would like to think of, as a world class competitor in it's segment. The BOSS 302 and GT (and very nearly the GT on a road course) will show it's taillights to an M3 on the strip and on a road course...that's no small feat. If I'm not mistaken though the 03-04 Cobra will put a corresponding generation M3 into a cold sweat when the road starts to snake as well.

Both cars are awesome for their respective era. Pick the Cobra though:D!

JDUB348

Established Member
I lol'd at the guy who said you can't find a cobra that doesn't need TLC.. you obviously don't pay attention to the sale section or craigslist

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dark-knight

Established Member
the 5.0's respond very well to bolt ons. my friends 12' 5.0 ran 11.6 @ 118 back to back with just Filter, email tune, h-pipe, and bigs & littles. He would be side by side with me when i had 100 shot on my mach.

then he put 100 shot on his car and it rides the hell out. now it traps 126mph.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I think it comes down to whichever you like the looks of better to be honest....

Followed shortly by whichever one gets traction better or has better aerodynamics.

I have no idea how good the traction is on the new 5.0s but if you had sweet tires and went all out suspension wise on both cars and one car had far superior traction I would go with that one.

I say this imo becuase it seems like aerodynamics and traction are the two hardest things to perfect on a car if it doesnt have a good starting point.

PudgeTheMidget

Established Member

Insurance for me is higher with the cobra than it would be with the 5.0. By about $30 as well, strange.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

MysticRob

Established Member
I drove the 2012 V-6 and V-8, but went with the Cobra. I really liked the creature comforts of the new models (bluetooth rocks!) and they're very solid cars, but they both lacked 'feel' for me.

Maybe I'm too old-school but the Cobra has a more visceral feeling to it and required more of my attention, which I personally enjoy more. The 03/04 Cobras were loved by all the mags and got great reviews, and for the money you can't beat the power or blower whine. If you don't mind the aged interior materials or fitment issues, then Cobra all the way.

03SBSNAKE

Established Member
Since you own both, how much driver space does the Cobra have compared to the new 5.0! I'm 6'4 and was pretty comfortable in the 5.0 I rented.

Which ever I get will be the one I keep for the rest of my life. Money won't play a role in my decision, just which one can handle the mods?

I'm 6'7 and I fit in my cobra its a little tight but that's expected in any car. I've driven a few 5.0s and some of the extra features are nice but I like how the cobra drives way better.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I can't chose which direction to go? I am looking to get back in the Mustang game but can't decide which to go for?

I recently rented a 2012 5.0 for the weekend and simply fell in love with it, but my concern is its ability to handle mods as far as a supercharger! I know Ford Racing offers kits that will bump the 5.0 up to 525hp and 624hp, but I'm not sure how durable that motor is without changing some of the internals?

I've read the stock cobra engine can handle up around 800hp before you need to change the internals? I'm not looking for the fastest beast out there but I want to have something that can hold up to around 550rwhp and not worry. Not to mention a Cobra is a Cobra and that's bad ass! Any input to help me make my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Where do you live? I bet there is a terminator owner in your area that would let you come check out their car.

Best way to find out is to drive both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread