2004 Cobra Purchase Need Help

pokerpoison

Established Member
Here is the deal. I am looking to purchase a new fun car. While I realize 2011 GTs have more horsepower I have always wanted to have a Terminator. I am trying to get an idea of what the car is worth and if the previous owner recognizes this car, I would welcome some history on the car.

2004 Redfire Cobra
79,200 miles
VIN 1FAFP48Y54F23218

This is an Arizona car and looks like it has a new throttle body, aftermarket exhaust, and aftermarket boost gauge. I looked at the blower and it looks like the stock one. It has a shorter pulley, not sure if its ported or not. Salesman does not know anything about the mods to the car (do they ever ?)

Here is the bad:

Car Fax shows it had an accident sometime recently. Right rear damage and it was disabled. Looks like the body shop did a good job on it but I can feel some minor feedback at highway speeds. 5 and 6th gear need to be replaced, and some minor interior work needs to be done (nothing out of the ordinary for an 80,000 mile car).

They want $16,500 for it for a cash transaction plus fees. This comes out to approx $18,000. Sticker shows an asking price of $19,500 (yikes). Book value for private party at fair condition (I gave it fair due to the accident and the minor things I saw). I am not very savy when it comes to buying cars from dealerships so I am looking for some advice and hope that someone on here is familiar with the car and would be able to give me some history. If you would rather not post send me a PM for my email address, and I will be happy to speak to you privately outside of the forums. Thank you in advance for your help.

70Maverick

Established Member
Any way to trace the shop that repaired it using that report? That would be what I want to know. Also, this car most likely would not be fair, but poor, depending on the extent of the damage. Sounds more like a 12-14K car to me with damage and mileage. Of course, since you have no photos we have no way to tell really.

EDIT: I'm also not sure what you mean by 2011 GTs have more horespower comment. Though that is true, I find it hard to believe you have narrowed it down to a $30-$40,000 2011 Mustang GT or a 80,000 miles wrecked $18K 6 year old Cobra? I find it odd that is the two you are down to I guess.

Last edited:

pokerpoison

Established Member
When I made my comment concerning the 2011 GTs, it was intent to quash the "Why don't you just buy a new GT". I didn't mean for it to be derrogatory toward the cars. I have not narrowed down my wants to a "2011 GT or a wrecked 2004", I may still just buy the 2011 GT.

I have wanted a Terminator for quite a while, and you are correct it does come down to being the right price for me to buy the car. I appreciate you throwing the 12-14K numbers to me. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Edit: There is not a listing for the repair shop on the car fax, otherwise I would. Also fixed some spelling/grammar issues.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
Yep...definitely pass on that one. Look for a nice clean one that is in better condition, preferably from a private seller.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Like others said pass on it. Its been in an accident, nearly 80k, plus the work it needs you'll likely have 20k+ into it. Not a good buy at all. Keep looking take your time. I bought mine mostly stock with 20k on it this april for 19.5k from a private party. There out there just don't rush it. I was going to wait until next summer but it seems this cobra found me!

Sapperstang

Established Member
We have two 80K+ mile cars and none of them need gears replaced. That is NOT ordinary for a car with 80K. Walk away.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I just bought my '03 with only 25,000 miles for just under $22....same guy has an '03 or '04 termi in redfire for pretty cheap and nothings is wrong with it.
check out Hi-End Auto - Hi-End Auto
guy specializes is termi's the redfire is listed in there.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Car was hit in the rear in 2004.

Also rear collision in 2009.

With that many miles and those problems I wouldn't give over 15k top.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Here is the deal. I am looking to purchase a new fun car. While I realize 2011 GTs have more horsepower I have always wanted to have a Terminator.

1st, the 2011 GT doesn't have more power (stock to stock it's rated more, but I don't know any 03/04 Cobra that didn't make way more than it was rated for)

as for that car, I'd defintiely NOT buy it.. too much trouble.. I have 83K on my 03 (166 miles on it when I bought it) and while it has a little seat wear on the drivers seat, the rest of the interior is cherry, and the drive train is just as good as the day I bought it..

SpectorV

Established Member
yea the 03/04 cobra has more hp/tq and has a faster feel than the 2011 in the low to mid range thanks to the roots blower.

Users who are viewing this thread