2004 Cobra shifter pops out of 3rd & clutch squeals

supertzar

Established Member
I have a 2004 Cobra, ~9k miles & stock, that has started exhibiting the following issues:

The shifter will pop out of 3rd gear sometimes. It does it usually when I'm just cruising with it. Sometimes it will also start to make a loud rattling sound, but it still looks like it's in gear. The problem seems to be getting worse now that it's getting colder. Since I got the car, it always seemed difficult to shift into 3rd, and I've missed a good number of shifts with it.

The clutch is also making a squealing noise, which is typically heard after a 10-15 min warmup. It happens when I hold the clutch in, and when i shut the car off I hear it.

Any tips or information would be appreciated.

smoke em

Established Member
If you are the second owner it was more than likely ran hard and shifted wrong your linkage could be a little screwed up. I would also get an clutch quadrent and firewall adjuster cause ours are junk.

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
The stock shifter is garbage! Order yourself a MGW shifter and You be SOO happy with it. ^Smoke em is right about the quadrent and firewall adjuster they are worthless. Fiore makes a good set that can fix it all up.

supertzar

Established Member
I bought it new. I've want to get the MGW shifter, just haven't got around to it yet (I wonder if they have walk-in sales, they are in my city!)

I want to fix any underyling issues though... What is the linkage and what does it do?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
The squeal you hear when depressing the clutch is probably a worn throw out bearing. If car is stock, should be covered under warranty.

Unless you have an aftermarket shifter with stops misadjusted, popping out of gear is most likely an internal trans problem. I guess the shifter (linkage) could be loose, but this is pretty unlikely. Bent shift fork can do this. That would be covered under warranty too, assuming there is no evidence of abusing the car. I doubt a new shifter would solve your problem

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
PhillyCobra said:
The squeal you hear when depressing the clutch is probably a worn throw out bearing. If car is stock, should be covered under warranty.

Unless you have an aftermarket shifter with stops misadjusted, popping out of gear is most likely an internal trans problem. I guess the shifter (linkage) could be loose, but this is pretty unlikely. Bent shift fork can do this. That would be covered under warranty too, assuming there is no evidence of abusing the car. I doubt a new shifter would solve your problem
+1

mystic04

Established Member
i had a kerban shifter installed and it popped out of 3rd every now and then not often but enought to make me wonder if i had some sort of trans problem . so i installed the stock shifter again and as of the last 2 months or so i haven't popped out of 3rd once . Go figure?? guess i'll try an mgw next or send back to kerban to see if something was wrong with that shifter i adjusted the stops and also ran them out so they wouldn't be in the way at all still did the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread