2004 cobra with a issue

Izzy51o

Established Member
Hey svters !

I recently had a 2.9 whipple install with id1000 injectors sct ba3000, single blade throttle body, jtl high boost CAI with a boost a pump and I dyno'd at 589 rwhp on 91 octane pushing 19 psi here in Cali, the issue I'm having is during WOT during first gear slamming into second I get a hard hiccup like a misfire or maybe it can be a spark blow out I'm not to sure, the spark plugs are new Ngk tr6 gapped at .028 with a new fuel filter by motorcraft, do you guys know what might be causing this ? When my car was in its stock form it was doing the same after I did a mailed ordered tune from American muscle, so do you guys have a idea what might be the caused ?

Izzy51o

Established Member
If it still has stock pumps, it could be the pprv in the hat.

Car only has 44k miles, just waiting to save up funds to upgrade my fuel system later, I've also read that the alternator can lead to this sort of problems too but just want people's opinions first.

lilmarauder

Established Member
Yea it can, I haven't much experience with this issue, it's just I've heard the pprv can cause a hesitation at wot

Izzy51o

Established Member
Yea it can, I haven't much experience with this issue, it's just I've heard the pprv can cause a hesitation at wot

So I googled 2004 cobra bad pprv and I read what people wrote about it, to my surprise a lot of people described the same issues I have , so I'm guessing I'm dropping the tank pretty soon lol but thanks for the respond and leading me to my issue,I love this website !

Kawi750

SVT
Established Member
I recently had the same issue with my cobra that you are having. After I installed a Kenne Bell 2.2, it had the same symptoms as yours under hard driving. It's the PPRV. I'm doing the delete this weekend.

Izzy51o

Established Member
I recently had the same issue with my cobra that you are having. After I installed a Kenne Bell 2.2, it had the same symptoms as yours under hard driving. It's the PPRV. I'm doing the delete this weekend.
Nice I'm gonna drop the tank tomorrow, I have a retune on weds and I'm putting in 94 octane hope to pass the 600 hp mark, by chance what hoses are you using and we're you get the parts from ?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I wouldn't drop the tank until you get the parts. You can still have your dyno tune as scheduled since the pull is just in one gear.
I would look at Lethal Performance to see their kit. It's probably more convenient to pick the parts up as a kit.

If you google PPRV delete and look at the photos you will see everything from folks only deleting the PPRV and bursting their stock hoses to the prepackaged kits to homemade kits with stainless fittings, bent hard lines with flared ends, etc.

SV

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a common problem. Even though I didn't need to go return fuel system glad I did. That hesitation is a thing of the past!

mustangmike1

Established Member
I had that same issue about 5-6 years ago and it was the pprv, I installed lethals pprv delete kit and it did fix the problem but the hose burst after 1 year. If you do go that route with lethals kit just make sure they have upgraded the fuel line or fixed there kit since that time. I ended up going with lethals budget return style, by the time I sold my bap/stock hat and pumps it paid for half of the return style system. Best thing about return style is no more shitty warm starts!

bubblehead93

Established Member
you can do the pprv delete or you can properly tune your fuel pump... at the end of the day, most just do the pprv delete... even after you do the pprv delete, if you stay returnless, recommend you spend some time tuning your fuel system... the system tries to predict the required duty cycle and then has a feedback process when differential pressure across you injectors is other than 39#s... with the BAP you need to spend some time on both ends, better matching predicted to reality and making the feedback process less severe... otherwise, you let off the gas, load goes down, differential pressure spikes, fuel pump duty cycle goes down, you find the next gear, mash the go pedal, fuel pressure drops and the car has a "severe hiccup"

Rings

Established Member
Car only has 44k miles, just waiting to save up funds to upgrade my fuel system later, I've also read that the alternator can lead to this sort of problems too but just want people's opinions first.

Two weeks ago I lost power while driving, found out it was the fuel pumps... 60,582 miles on the ol girl. New pumps PPRV delete and she's back running and gunning.

Pumps aren't that expensive and its worth the PPRV from everything Ive read.

Izzy51o

Established Member
I'm stumped car is still doing the same I'm just gonna park her and save up for the lethal return less kit

Last edited:

Izzy51o

Established Member
Why not save up the extra cash and do the budget return at a minimum? Pay and do it once and never think about it again
so I emailed a very respective shop which is highly recommend here in Cali they said they won't install the lethal performance return kit cause they aren't responsible for any damage of there junk from the material and from the tuning using there product lol I have the money to get a fuel system but what would you guys recommend for using e85 ?

Users who are viewing this thread