2004 FX4 - First 3 plugs sheered off ??

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Anyone ever heard of this? 5 more plugs to go on this 2004 5.4.

I know these 5.4s can be finicky, but come on.

TXS2V

Established Member
Common problem on the 5.4 3v. Alot of people spray rustler buster or wd40 down the plug hole to help in removal.

TXS2V

Established Member
Broke two the first time I did mine.
plugs3.jpg

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
There a two piece plug for whatever reason. Just make sure when you do finally get them out you get the nicer one piece units

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Thanks folks!

Found more than I bargained for over on F150online on this subject for sure.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
WD40 spray it in the hole let it sit over night and soak. Then the next day, easily back them off. If it gets hard in anyway, stop and tighten it back up, and spray more wd40 and let it soak again. They will come out, but they are real pain. I have changed mine twice. The first time was at 60k, the second time was at 170k, and that was fun. I haven't broken any but I know they are known for it. I just did a lot of reading before I did my 04 5.4

Wildman113

Established Member
Its a really bad design, the worst parts about the 3V engines are the spark plugs breaking off and the cam phaser/solenoid failures. Everything else is pretty solid.

As the other guys said, spray penetrating oil (PB Blaster creeps into the threads the best) into the spark plug wells and let it soak overnight, then try to break them loose gently, without snapping the shells off.

If the shells do get stuck and break off, you will need the "Ford 3V Broken Spark Plug Removal Tool", available directly from Ford/Rotunda or in the aftermarket from Lisle and other companies. Try to avoid that route if at all possible.

When you install the new plugs, buy the one piece design, and coat the plug shell with Copper-Nickel Anti Sieze. That is what Ford reccommends to prevent them from getting stuck and breaking in the future. Its an expensive compound and can be hard to find, but its definitely worth it. Its also useful for other components and fasteners, as its better than regular aluminum or copper anti sieze.

Users who are viewing this thread