2004 Mach 1 vs 2004 GTO

Mach Boy

Established Member
Driving home from work I come across a yellow 5.7L GTO. It's in the middle of town so I know that there won't be any play. I follow him out of town on the 4 lane highway and we are stuck behind traffic. Knowing that I have a more open highway up ahead and that he is in my lane I figured that he would be taking my turn which he did.

We are sitting at the light with him in the right turn lane with one SUV in front of him and two cars in front of me in the left hand turn lane. The light goes green and the SUV is a little slow off the line. I took the turn a little sharp and barked the tires and that got his attention. I got in the right lane in front of the SUV while the GTO tried to do the same but the SUV pulled up beside the car that was in front of me. I kept cool just going with the flow of traffic trying not to run away from the guy. The GTO driver was a little upset based on how he was a little close to the bumper of the car in front and then again of the SUV when he changed lanes again. The SUV got the hint, sped up and changed lanes in-between the two cars that were originally in front of me.

At this point I sped up in front of the first car in the left lane and waited on the GTO. The GTO got on the gas and I dropped into third at 65mph. I'm thinking I'm either going to hit the gas as he goes by or see if he matches speeds for a three honk. Well he started to do a flyby and once his rear bumper was at my hood I hit it. I rounded out third at 90 even with him and nailed fourth pulling away hard. By 110-115 I was two to three cars out and hit the brakes.

At the next light about a half mile up I hear,
"Your car is loud as ****. What the hell is done to it?"
"Cammed. Are you stock?"
"Cold air intake and catback exhaust. Have a good one."

Mach Boy

Established Member
Good kill, what were the HP increase from the cams?

I can't say with any certainty. I had LTs, the cams, ported intake, and added some compression with new pistons all at the same time. I jumped from 300rwhp to 360rwhp. If I had to guess I probably added 30 hp from them. The FR500 cams aren't all that aggressive. If I would have had the cash at the time it would have been nicer to go with customs or something more aggressive.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I can't say with any certainty. I had LTs, the cams, ported intake, and added some compression with new pistons all at the same time. I jumped from 300rwhp to 360rwhp. If I had to guess I probably added 30 hp from them. The FR500 cams aren't all that aggressive. If I would have had the cash at the time it would have been nicer to go with customs or something more aggressive.

Good kill, I was going to question the result because before headers/Vortech I ran door to door with my buddy who had a full exhaust 04 GTO but then I saw you are cammed and built so it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread