2004 Mustang GT Buying Questions

Pilot511

Established Member
I've been looking at the forums for a while but first post.

I have a 2011 VW CC 6speed, APR Stage 1 with 25k on it. Its a great car but my payment isn't. I found a 2004 Mustang GT 40th anny 5 speed, black on black locally with 57000 original miles, clean title. Car is in great conditions minus a few clear coat issues. Has a shifter and xpipe (bone stock otherwise). I'm looking to get it for around $8000 maybe less and get out of my payment to buy a house. Any issues I should look out for or anything? I drive about 60 miles a day for work, mainly just straight on high way and nothing crazy besides that (go to my family in Tennessee 2-3 times a year). Just wanted to know thoughts on the car and anything I should be careful of. It drove really well and looked clean.

I know its just a 2Valve but I am perfectly satisfied with that, not looking to be crazy fast just have a fun car that is totally payed off.

Any input is very much appreciated, thanks.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I just bought an '03 GT convertible with 104k and all stock for the price you're talking about. Same reason too, I want a house, the toys can wait. For the mileage it sounds like a good price, but if it needs paint work, I'd try to talk the owner down a little. Anyway, since it's basically stock, I'd just look to make sure the maintenance is up to date. These are, in my opinion, reliable cars if maintained well.

Pilot511

Established Member
The paint work is minor it's really clear coat not paint but its very minimal and not at all a concern of mine. Just care about mechanically sound that's all.

Pilot511

Established Member
It looks to be in really good conditions the seller who I'm buying it from now has only had it a month and he needs money so I have no receipts he changed the oil and checked tranny fluid

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Are you knowledgeable enough to check it out yourself? If so, there you go. If not, have a mechanic check it out. With the mileage and minimal mods, it's probably ok, BUT even a dream car can become a nightmare. Ask me how I know...

Pilot511

Established Member
I definitely want a mechanic to check it first and plan to do so. If he still has the car next weekend I fully plan to buy it because I work a crazy schedule all week. Got a surprisingly good offer for my CC from carmax

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have 91k miles on my 02 GT Vert. The only thing that has been done to my car due to an issue was I had to have the rear rebuilt at 25K miles. They are not sure what happened but, an axle was bent (no damage to axle housing) and gears were chewed up.

I pulled the car in the garage to do a 4V Swap and it was still the stock clutch and flywheel (from the factory), changed brakes once, and I have taken the car to the track and raced it. I did not beat on it but, it was not babied.

Pilot511

Established Member
That's good to hear we're only a couple hundred dollars off so if I'm able to get my car sold and pick his up it'll workout otherwise ill be looking for another

spike_africa

Established Member
I have 120k on mine with full bolt on's since 40k and nitrous since 28k. I beat the shit out of it. Still has stock motor, tranny. Blew out the rear end drag racing but nothing major on this car. stock A/C even not even needed a recharge yet. Mine is daily driven and garaged.

Pilot511

Established Member
haha thats good to know man. My plan is try to sell my CC this week either privately or to Carmax (I will make money off it) and as long as the Mustang is still available next weekend take it to a shop, get it inspected and buy if all goes well. Here's a pic of my car now (just uploaded a bunch to put online for sale)
7-1_zps8962271b.jpg

spike_africa

Established Member
Nice, my gf has a 06 TDi Jetta. Great cars if maintained properly. Honestly the only bad thing about these cars is the late 01-04 with the Tr3650 tremec will grind when cold. Ford did a TSB and replaced bushings inside to fix it. Mine didn't grind, but I learned to powershift and then took it in for the TSB. felt no difference. Other then that honestly mine has been great. Stock water pump, alt died last year around 108k miles.

Pilot511

Established Member
UPDATE-

I am able to get the car for $7500 this weekend if I want it.

Again its a 2004 Mustang GT 40th anny, 5 speed, 57k miles, about 40-50% left on tires, feels like an aftermarket clutch. Interior is a 9.5/10, exterior is probably a 7/10 (4-5 small clear coat issues). It will be a DD for about a 60 mile a day commute (straight up and down a highway). I plan to get it inspected but final thoughts?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread