2004 Mustang Gt Exhaust Options?

Tyler06

Established Member
Recently purchased a 2004 Mustang GT with 24,000 miles on it. I want to change the exhaust. I am looking for something loud and muscle type. Most likely going to go with a cat back and x pipe. I have heard good things about slp? Flowmasters? Wanted to see what people think would be a good loud sounding exhaust for the car. If you have videos please post. Anything helps!

zpstang96

Established Member
Flowmasters are most likely to give you that classic muscle sound IMHO. It also depends on what kind of mid pipe you go with as well. I've got SLP Loudmouths and absolutely love them. I run them with long tubes and a catted x and they are quite loud. But as stated before, YouTube will be your best friend on this one. Good luck :beer:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Flowmasters hands down for a good sounding car. You're gonna have people come in telling you there are better performing mufflers but the sound is worth the small difference IMO.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Flowmasters hands down for a good sounding car. You're gonna have people come in telling you there are better performing mufflers but the sound is worth the small difference IMO.

My opinion is based purely off sound, I hate flowmasters, I have had them on my Cobra with O/R X and they sounded like shit, switched to magnaflow and sounded wonderful. I have videos of both on youtube but cant post right now. I would never buy flowmasters, I will always buy Magnaflow but next time im going with a H-pipe instead of the X.

o2gt

Established Member
bassani cat back and catted x pipe. this is what i had on mine i will never forget how much i loved it. this was over 10 years ago and i still have friends that talk about how good it sounded. have fun i loved my 2v gt it was my first car and it was so much fun. i cant believe how long its been, also if its an auto get some 4.10 and really have some fun.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
i had a mac offroad H-pipe and a magnaflow catback on my 01 GT, sounded nice and deep and got alot of compliments.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
My opinion is based purely off sound, I hate flowmasters, I have had them on my Cobra with O/R X and they sounded like shit, switched to magnaflow and sounded wonderful. I have videos of both on youtube but cant post right now. I would never buy flowmasters, I will always buy Magnaflow but next time im going with a H-pipe instead of the X.

I love the way they sound on my GT, love it. I never could get with the X pipe sound though, way to raspy. o/r H + Flowmaster=:bowdown: IMO

Tyler06

Established Member
Thanks! Ill have to do some more searching on YouTube! I've hear great things about flow masters and recently haven't been hearing good things about magnaflow... Right now I think I am split between flowmaster or slps? What flowmasters are the loudest 40's? Also what is a good x-pipe for this car?

whiteboyawesome

Established Member
Resonators sound like shit imo i have flowmaster 40 series welded in and dont listen to any1 about them being restrictive the most a catback will really get u is 1-3hp the mid pipe is where u make the power choose what tone you like better honestly its all personal preference

spike_africa

Established Member
i had a mac offroad H-pipe and a magnaflow catback on my 01 GT, sounded nice and deep and got alot of compliments.

This should be moved to the SN95 section...........

I have had stock H-pipe and SLP loudmouth, O/R Mid pipe and stock Catback, O/R mid pipe and SLP (was terrible and stupid loud), O/R H-pipe and MAC (sounds the best hands down), O/R H-pipe and Mac Produmps, O/R H-pipe and Magnaflow. For a daily driver a off road h or x pipe with a magnaflow catback is great. Its not to loud for cruising so you can talk on the phone on the highway, and when you hammer it, its loud.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Offroad x and magnaflow catback. YouTube has mustangs with just about every exhaust combo

I had this setup on my 2002 Mustang back in the day. Note that I did not have the magnapacks, but the traditional magnaflow.

It was still a pretty loud setup.

However if you are after a more muscle car oriented sound, I would go with an h-pipe matted to some sort of chambered muffler. Either a Mac or Flowmaster type.

The x-pipe creates a bit more of a raspy sound and they don't mate well with chambered mufflers. Lots of drone in a combination like that.

UncleDan

Established Member
As others have said, YouTube is full of every Mustang exhaust combination that you can imagine. And if you go to cruise nights, you could even hear some of them in person and chose that way. I had a catted x-pipe & Magnaflows on my 03 Cobra and it was what I wanted. Magnaflows are a pretty mild muffler compared to the others. So you'd want to bump up to SLPs, Borla, etc, for that noise you want.

Tyler06

Established Member
Okay so I have been doing some searching. Found that the flowmasters with an x or h pipe, preferably mac and some kind of slp set up are my two top options.

Users who are viewing this thread