2004 Saleen S281 SC

04Saleen281

Established Member
Bone stock 2004 Torch Red S281 SC (#227). Just turned 75k miles. I bought it about 5 years ago from Veracka Motors in Massachusetts. The supercharger has a fresh rebuild from PSE in Oklahoma. I've got the original wheels, plus a set of replicas from American Muscle that I run on it. Relatively new set of 265/295 BFG KDW2s. Center exhaust. Interior is the Saleen leather set-up, I'd say it's a 3 out of 5 due to some wear on the driver's seat. Paint is also about a 3 out of 5 as well. Looks like a show car from 10 feet, but there's some chipping on the front bumper and side scoops behind the doors. Pictures can be seen on my Instagram account- marcdhatcher (posting them this site seems beyond me). Overall, it's one that's been driven and enjoyed, but I come from a family of Mustang owners, so it's been well maintained. I've always understood that danger of running a 2v too hard, so no mechanical issues to speak of. $16.5. Thanks.

Last edited:

paulboy

Established Member
Nice saleen.. I'd say you're in the ballpark with $15K or so.. Might not get that right away, but you could wait for the right buyer and sell it at that. Theres a nice one for sale close to me with 33k miles on the market for $20k and he just dropped it to 18.5. You should post it on saleen owners and enthusiasts club.com and saleen club of america.com and also the saleen locating service. Saleen die hards cruise those sites, so you're more likely to find someone there that will appreciate the beauty that you have. GLWS!

04Saleen281

Established Member
Nice saleen.. I'd say you're in the ballpark with $15K or so.. Might not get that right away, but you could wait for the right buyer and sell it at that. Theres a nice one for sale close to me with 33k miles on the market for $20k and he just dropped it to 18.5. You should post it on saleen owners and enthusiasts club.com and saleen club of america.com and also the saleen locating service. Saleen die hards cruise those sites, so you're more likely to find someone there that will appreciate the beauty that you have. GLWS!

Greatly appreciated!

04Saleen281

Established Member
not to be mean but i think the price point is steep. car needs some work.

Good time to point out the car runs like a champ- needs zero work to drive and enjoy. Literally a "turn key and go" car. If you want to show it (not really the car for it, but not an impossibility), it would require about a day in paint to fix rock chips. Mechanically, I would have no hesitation driving this car from WV to CA. Just driving around WV I frequently get "thumbs up" from fellow drivers, so the car is very presentable paint wise.

Price is, as we all know, the most subjective argument in the world, particularly with low production cars. S281s of this vintage are certainly not as rare as my R, but I think Saleen enthusiasts will agree that well maintained, stock (minus the wheels, which are included in the sale), red examples with center exhaust (2004) are not readily available.

I appreciate everyone taking a look and offering constructive criticism, but please be careful from making broad, general statements such as "needs some work", which may negatively influence other posters, particularly when you don't give any rationale. They may think they are missing something that is not there. I feel I represented the car's short comings truthfully in the post (rock chips in the paint, wear to the driver's seat, mileage). If the pictures suggest further work required, by all means point it out. Otherwise, please don't troll.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Thanks! Got it this year from a guy in York, PA. Bought it with 4k miles, parked it with 10k. I try to ride it any time the sun is out.

Great find and you made the wise choice by driving it rather than letting it sit :idea:

stroked mach

Established Member
I think you are starting about right with some room to move on the price don't give it away, people are looking for those cars all the time so the right buyer will come around, very nice cars I think always loved them I love red and yellow

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Good time to point out the car runs like a champ- needs zero work to drive and enjoy. Literally a "turn key and go" car. If you want to show it (not really the car for it, but not an impossibility), it would require about a day in paint to fix rock chips. Mechanically, I would have no hesitation driving this car from WV to CA. Just driving around WV I frequently get "thumbs up" from fellow drivers, so the car is very presentable paint wise.

Price is, as we all know, the most subjective argument in the world, particularly with low production cars. S281s of this vintage are certainly not as rare as my R, but I think Saleen enthusiasts will agree that well maintained, stock (minus the wheels, which are included in the sale), red examples with center exhaust (2004) are not readily available.

I appreciate everyone taking a look and offering constructive criticism, but please be careful from making broad, general statements such as "needs some work", which may negatively influence other posters, particularly when you don't give any rationale. They may think they are missing something that is not there. I feel I represented the car's short comings truthfully in the post (rock chips in the paint, wear to the driver's seat, mileage). If the pictures suggest further work required, by all means point it out. Otherwise, please don't troll.

I don't see anyone trolling whatsoever. You asked for opinions and he gave one. Nothing nasty was said and an honest opinion was given. For FWIW I am a Saleen "enthusiast" and have owned 17 mustangs incl an 06 Vista Blue SC-281 vert, one of 17 built that year. Stick around and believe you me, you will see some real troll posts.

04Saleen281

Established Member
I don't see anyone trolling whatsoever. You asked for opinions and he gave one. Nothing nasty was said and an honest opinion was given. For FWIW I am a Saleen "enthusiast" and have owned 17 mustangs incl an 06 Vista Blue SC-281 vert, one of 17 built that year. Stick around and believe you me, you will see some real troll posts.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread