2005 Mustang may be based on Focus chassis !!

demann

Established Member
Hey everyone, check out this link at BlueOval News:

http://www.bonforums.com/mustang/mustang_05chassis070302.htm

The article says that instead of using the DEW98-Lite chassis (which is a modified chassis from the Lincoln LS and the Ford Thunderbird) Ford is exploring using a modified Focus chassis for the all new 2005 Mustang. It is still supposed to be rear-wheel drive though.

This makes me feel even better that I am getting a 2003 Cobra. I don't know, maybe they can make a good 2005 Mustang out of a Focus chassis, but the last time Ford did something like this was the Mustang II from ths 70's, which was based on the Pinto chassis.

If this BlueOval News article is correct, it sure will be interesting to see what Ford comes up with for the 2005 Mustang, and also to see how people react to a Mustang based on a Focus chassis.

What do you guys think about this?

Stalker

Established Member
Is Ford ever going to wake up to the fact that the Mustang is a huge money maker for them? It's been nearly 25 years since the Mustang had a new chasis and we end up with a Focus? Does Ford do this kind of stuff intentionally? Maybe they feel guilty about having one of the longest running and most successful models in history. They sure do seem keen on doing whatever they can to destroy the brand.:shrug: :punch:

edz

Retired.
Established Member
May also be a good publicity ploy, keep the car in the news with controversial statements.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by edz
May also be a good publicity ploy, keep the car in the news with controversial statements.
BON is notorious for doing just that... Notorious because they are effective :-D

SVTman74

stupid people make me mad
Established Member
Seriously guys what is so wrong about the focus chassis. If you think the "new" mustang is at any way going to resemble the 3 door, 5 door focus or even the wagon your wrong. Look at the Jags, tbirds and Ls they are all on the same platform and do not look alike, also the focus chassis is very proven. and light. The car will have a v8 and rear wheel drive if it is on the C170 chassis. I really think the focus is a good car, just underpowerd

demann

Established Member
My concern with the Focus chassis is that it was originally not designed for RWD nor for the kind of power that Cobras make. It will probably be a fine chassis for V6s and GTs, but it seems like it will still be an under-designed, over-stressed chassis for future Cobras, much like the Fox chassis has been for recent Cobras.

I have read a lot about the Lincoln LS and driven one in a test drive. It feels solid, and it has nice touches like having the battery installed low in the trunk right next to the spare tire. It is definitely a good, solid RWD chassis that could probalby be made to handle like a BMW M3 or M5 in the hands of SVT.

I hope they are not trying to downsize the Mustang and/or try to make it more apealing to the Ricer crowd. Can you really fit a big V8 into a Focus front end?

I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

PS. By the way SVTman74, your T-Bird sure looks great! I really miss my 91 SC.

Last edited:

SVTman74

stupid people make me mad
Established Member
Thanks for the compliment, except now I have no hood liner ( stolen) or black outs ( stolen). The C170 chassis was acuallu designed for AWD believe it or not.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Focus chassis? I would take that over a Fairmont any day. I believe the Focus has been on Automobile magazines 10 Best list since it came out.

hoodedsnake

Established Member
What SVTman74 said, the Focus is an AWD chassis they sell a version in Europe that is AWD and very stiff and very light too.

I hear we will see an AWD SVT Focus in the next coupla years, sure would make a sweet winter car!!

wildosvt

Established Member
focus_openhood.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread