2006 Mustang GT wheels fit our cars (winter storage)?

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Just wondering if anybody knows if the 2006 Mustang GT wheels will fit? I'm looking at a good deal on the wheels/tires to put on my car for winter storage.

Bolt pattern is the same, they're 17" but I'm thinking the backspacing / offset are different but I cannot find the spec's on the factory wheels. Anybody tried this yet and have clearance issues?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
The 05+ wheels have a higher offset so they sit inside the wheel well more, I think it's like a +40 something offset on them. I've never tried to actually bolt one up to a new edge car so I can't say whether they fit or not unfortunately.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Yep, found a few more spec's and realize the back spacing will make them sit inward more. After talking to my co-worker some more he said he had them on his 95 GT for awhile (I know him well enough that I know he's not BS'ing). With the Cobra having the IRS, it might be problem...just don't know yet.

My bigger concern now is that they are a 55 aspect ratio tire...and I'm lowered. IF they work, it might be extremely close around the fender lips (I'm about 25 7/8"- 26" from ground to front fender lip) which I'm not to comfortable with. Thoughts?

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I also have a lead on some '04 GT wheels & tires with a 50 aspect ratio so those might fit better. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow or this weekend to do a test fit on the '06 Gt wheel / 55 profile tire to check clearances....I'll post the results.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
The sidewall height all depends on the width of the tire, so without knowing both tire sizes I don't don't have any idea which will fit better.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Finally got around to test fitting. Looks like they're going to work. Very VERY close fit around the front brake caliper though. Tight fit around the caliper diameter(edge between caliper and the inner diameter of the wheel) and also at the outside of the caliper where the spokes meet the rim. They seemed to rotate fine with no interference and with full weight on them looked ok.

Just for reference:
2003 Cobra wheels (17x9): +26mm (1.02") offset, 6.12" backspacing
2006 gt wheels(17x8): +45mm (1.77") offset, 6.25" backspacing
1999 gt wheels (17x8): +24mm (0.94") offset??? backspacing = ?? (I'll get to this tomorrow...I'm tired. lol)

KLeech..it's a 235/55/17 tire on a 17x8 factory 2006 Mustang GT wheel. For reference it's the 8th one from the top(#3649): 2006 Ford Mustang Rims, 2006 Ford Mustang Wheels at OriginalWheels.com

Also have a line on some '99 GT wheels. 6th one from the top (3307A): 1999 Ford Mustang Rims, 1999 Ford Mustang Wheels at OriginalWheels.com

I can get the '06 wheels/tires (beat to hell and bald) for $100-$125 tops. The '99 wheel's/tires are a "name your price" game so we'll see what he says. I'm thinking the '99 set might fit better but he might want $300+ for the set and I'm only wanting an extra set for storage.

Last edited:

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Just an update for future reference to all of you. The 2006 GT wheels w/ 235/55/17 tires fit. Didn't see/hear any rubbing and my car sits at approx. 26" from ground to fender..actually, slightly less. Now granted, I wasn't driving around on them but it's enough clearance to move it forward/back while turning tires to get it stored for winter. As long as the tires hold air, I'm good to go.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Just an update for future reference to all of you. The 2006 GT wheels w/ 235/55/17 tires fit. Didn't see/hear any rubbing and my car sits at approx. 26" from ground to fender..actually, slightly less. Now granted, I wasn't driving around on them but it's enough clearance to move it forward/back while turning tires to get it stored for winter. As long as the tires hold air, I'm good to go.

Hey that's all that matters that they worked for you, glad they did so you have something to store your car on. Lucky for me I still have itty bitty GT brakes and I can put 15" v6 wheels on mine to store it that were given to me for free lol

Users who are viewing this thread