2007 Charger SRT8 vs 2001 Z28

S8ER01Z

Established Member
**warning no mustang content**
Sorry to dissapoint.

The Car
My buddy has a 2007 SRT8 Charger with predator tune, cai and heartthrob catback. Last year we ended up running at the track and ran really close together. At the time he had cai/tune and I had everything but the longtubes running on stock tune.

I'm car 16, he was 0377
Z28vsSRT8.jpg

The Race
We were talking and I wanted to use his car as a benchmark since we knew what he ran before. We figure he gained a bit from the exhaust but it should be fairly obvious if I'm way beyond where I was, worse off or the same.

We lined up from a dig and he gave the call to go. I bogged it bad and by the time I hit my power band he had his rear bumper a few feet in front of my nose. As I entered 3rd it was obvious I wasn't gaining fast enough to over take him.. it appeared that I was inching up on him which matched up to our experience at the track when comparing MPH. We shut down just shy of 100mph with me still just behind his bumper. A loss for me.

At this point the tune seems critical... I would say I gained considering his car feels much better than it did before he put on the exhaust but until we hit the track we won't know for sure. I'm ok with the loss (if you check the slip he already beat me before).. damn SRT8s move out for being so heavy. haha

TLDR; Raced an SRT8 from a dig, botched the launch and lost, with equal launch it probably would have been a dead heat again.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I wana be in the 12's too:(

Seriously though I know that was a damned close race and those are the best races :banana: :rockon: :dancenana:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Definitely close, frustrating when you can't tell if you are gaining or just sitting even though.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Definitely close, frustrating when you can't tell if you are gaining or just sitting even though.

I actually haven't had a race like that yet so I can't say that I really understand the feeling because I've either won by a car or more or LOST by a car or more:banghead:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

armyavnguy

Established Member
You dissappointed yourself, thats why one person "now myself counts two has replied"... Go to Camaro or Chevy forum.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Posted this for da5duece and I'm not really bothered a lot of guys here don't want to respond or read it. Most of the kill stories here lately don't involve kills and a lot don't involve SVTs even. I put that up top so people could skip of they weren't interested wasn't meant to be rude or anything.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
You dissappointed yourself, thats why one person "now myself counts two has replied"... Go to Camaro or Chevy forum.

You don't even own an SVT so at the same time I can ask why are you here?

S8er01Z contributes a good amount so if anything you can GTFO

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Wow..someone makes a catback and calls it "Heart Throb"??? Not sure I would brag about that name.

Glad to see I am not the only one lacking driver skills....I think you have him with a better launch??

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

dangerously close to a "troll" label...Tons of guys without Mustangs post kill stories in here.

Not sure SVTP is ready for a bunch of Honda vs Toyota kill stories but most people enjoy reading/watching a race regardless of the car brand.

Please nobody start posting 16 second quarter mile races though...

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Wow..someone makes a catback and calls it "Heart Throb"??? Not sure I would brag about that name.

Glad to see I am not the only one lacking driver skills....I think you have him with a better launch??

Yeah jegs sells it, sounds pretty good.

Here's a clip of it.
[youtube_browser]QENkwJqOYOg[/youtube_browser]

Once I'm tuned I should have him, right now I would need to launch perfectly. If he hadn't added the exhaust I think I could have made up the ground I lost in this race but his car is a beast... It's not until we hit higher speeds that I gain any ground.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member

dangerously close to a "troll" label...Tons of guys without Mustangs post kill stories in here.

Not sure SVTP is ready for a bunch of Honda vs Toyota kill stories but most people enjoy reading/watching a race regardless of the car brand.

Please nobody start posting 16 second quarter mile races though...

I would have to look but this is the first thread I've posted in this section since I joined. I try to keep my races off here because I know a lot of guys don't want to read it. I don't plan on making it a habit or anything. :)

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I would have to look but this is the first thread I've posted in this section since I joined. I try to keep my races off here because I know a lot of guys don't want to read it. I don't plan on making it a habit or anything. :)

**** that bro, just wait til I start getting races in my srt8. I going to post about every one of the and if people don't like it they can kick rocks.

2K1 SVT

Established Member

Don't worry about the fanboys who are closed minded. Post up any of the kills that you have, the vast majority of us would enjoy reading about them. After all keep your friends close and your enemies closer (lsx) ;-)

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

No your good..other dude was saying similar stuff to someone in another thread about posting only Mustang stories.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Yeah jegs sells it, sounds pretty good.

Here's a clip of it.
[youtube_browser]QENkwJqOYOg[/youtube_browser]

Once I'm tuned I should have him, right now I would need to launch perfectly. If he hadn't added the exhaust I think I could have made up the ground I lost in this race but his car is a beast... It's not until we hit higher speeds that I gain any ground.

Too quiet at idle for me but sounds good when he stomps on it.."heart throb"..LOL..also sounds like it has F/I??..thought I could hear a little whine???

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The only thing dissapointing in this thread is you posting in it.
Ahh.. the good ol' days. Haven't had a neck to neck race anymore :( The closest thing to me was an LS2 C6 and even that couldn't keep up. I miss those heart pounding races, felt good having the adreneling rush knowing that one small mistake could cost you the race.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Posted this for da5duece and I'm not really bothered a lot of guys here don't want to respond or read it. Most of the kill stories here lately don't involve kills and a lot don't involve SVTs even. I put that up top so people could skip of they weren't interested wasn't meant to be rude or anything.

AAAAWWWWW Rob I'm touched:beer: :rolling:

I LOL'd about HEART THROB also, and if your sig is correct and you have around 460rwhp I'm sure you are good enough driver to handle that power

The only thing dissapointing in this thread is you posting in it.
Ahh.. the good ol' days. Haven't had a neck to neck race anymore :( The closest thing to me was an LS2 C6 and even that couldn't keep up. I miss those heart pounding races, felt good having the adreneling rush knowing that one small mistake could cost you the race.

My adrenaline goes crazy even during a loss so imagine me winning AGAINST GM products lol:-D. I get excited when I win any race but going up against the rival and winning is awesome but going against the rival and losing sucks but thats just me and I still give the thumbs up to the driver:thumbsup:

burnzilla

Established Member
I'll run an R/T but not an SRT8 unless its from a dig :D.
Nice run.

A 07 SRT8 with an intake, catback and tune only mustered a 12.8?
Don't they run 12.9's stock?

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
AAAAWWWWW Rob I'm touched:beer: :rolling:

I LOL'd about HEART THROB also, and if your sig is correct and you have around 460rwhp I'm sure you are good enough driver to handle that power

My adrenaline goes crazy even during a loss so imagine me winning AGAINST GM products lol:-D. I get excited when I win any race but going up against the rival and winning is awesome but going against the rival and losing sucks but thats just me and I still give the thumbs up to the driver:thumbsup:

Problem now for me is only driving my Cobra on the weekends....

I was ok with it when it was my DD but takes time to get back into it on weekends....almost like driving someone's elses car when I first get into it....

Still fun as hell though....ohh also a centri which is bit easier I think then a roots/Twin screw because we don't have so much instant power

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Trust me, when your car becomes a lot faster, a lot of these fun races won't feel "fun" anymore. I may not have the fastest but I have yet ro race a car to give me some competition. I don't look for races but if you're next to me and wanna have fun, ill give it a go.
I'll run an R/T but not an SRT8 unless its from a dig :D.
Nice run.
A 07 SRT8 with an intake, catback and tune only mustered a 12.8?
Don't they run 12.9's stock?
A lot has happen.... :eek:
I remember you used to be the Chevy person that Chevy owners hate to be :lol1: Good to see you having a change of heart, I must've been long for a really long time :beer: It really comes down to the track. I saw an SRT8 with M/T's with small mods and cutting 1.8-1.9 60' fts and running a 12.8-.7 at 110. From what it looked like, he was a pretty damn fast shifter and good driver to be cutting 60'fts like that more than once.
Problem now for me is only driving my Cobra on the weekends....

I was ok with it when it was my DD but takes time to get back into it on weekends....almost like driving someone's elses car when I first get into it....

Still fun as hell though....ohh also a centri which is bit easier I think then a roots/Twin screw because we don't have so much instant power
IDk, its a tought call. We own a 97 Vert Cobra with an S-Trim made about 418 to wheels I believe? Anderson pipe, 4.0's, 19 inch rims, 315 tires, etc. Soon as boost gets in, that thing tailfishes extremely bad. My Cobra mostly just wheelhops but IMO feels a lot safer than the 97 even with me having 275 tires and 17 inch rims. Biggest downside on the eaton is that all 1st gear and half of 2nd gear is still useless on Street tires while on the 97 2nd gear feels pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread