2007 Mercury Montego

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Family member is looking at a 2007 Montego (basically a Ford 500) with the 3.0 Duratec , CVT trans and AWD. Car has just under 100k. Anybody have opinions on this car or known issues we should look for? I took a quick look online and didn't see anything overly concerning. Thanks in advance.

floodstang

Established Member
The biggest issue I've seen with them is the A/C compressors. We replace them at the dealership but I think you can repair them. The scroll valve goes bad in them and I think you can get them separate from the compressor. Other than that, they are good cars.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Compressor as mentioned above, aftermarket cost is around $500. The CVT is very expensive to replace as well, but i have not seen many of those fail. I think they have a recall for cleaning the throttle body and a PCM reflash for surging when put into gear.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
If they can afford it, go one model year newer and get the Sable. The 3.0l with CVT is a complete dog in that large car. It is pitifully slow. The Sable has a 3.5l making 60 more hp (pretty sustantial difference) and a 6-speed automatic. Much better choice IMO.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
PTU units go bad all the time and leak trans fluid. The AWD system was pretty crap too. Biased like a Volvo and really sticks it to you when it throws the power around during icy conditions.

Check underneath it around the front driveshaft going into the transmission. The PTU unit is the large piece bolted to the back of the trans. Make sure it is not leaking as IIRC you need to r&r the transmission to replace it.

Also the 3.0's have, on occasion, bent rods due to people not replacing the heated version PCV valve on the back of the intake manifold. The valve is a $5 part which has a coolant tube wrapped around it but if/when it gets stuck open can cause all kinds of issues. I had to replace a few for bent rods and others for burned valves. Make sure the valve is replaced ASAP and changed every 20-25k.

Last edited:

mrlrd1

Established Member
As stated above, AC compressors and PTU problems.

Separated engine roll restrictors, primarily the one near the throttle body.
Front ball joints either develop play or the nut loosens, sometimes both.
Timing cover leaks like every 3.0 Duratec ever made.
Rubber band trans is garbage - get an OASIS report and check for prior "repairs"
Fuel gauge issues have probably been fixed already.
Heated seats fail constantly.

Remember, it's a SUV with a car body. Both the seating position and drivability will remind you of that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread