2008 GT500 Clutch Issue?

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I'm in the market for a used GT500 and I think I found "the one." It's a bone stock 2008 with about 5k miles. The owner says he babied the car and never drives it. I asked him about the clutch and the TSB, he said he tried to get Ford to cover it under the warranty, but they just wouldn't due to the clutch not having issues at the time, and it still doesn't have any issues.

My concern is that with my luck, after I purchase the car, it'll start slipping shortly thereafter. Does the clutch issue affect ALL GT500s between '07 and '09? If so, is it preventable by driving a certain way? Does anybody on here have a GT500 who has never had any clutch issues? If so, how are your driving habits, and your clutch habits?

Is the clutch repair an easy DIY at home as a weekend project?

Lastly, is the clutch repair covered for FREE by Ford, even if the car no longer has a warranty?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I suggest you use the clutch until it fails. Many have gone a long way on the stock clutch in a stock car. Driving habits have a lot to do with it but if you baby the car because you are worried about the clutch, you will miss the reason you bought the car in the first place. Only you can determine if you can replace a clutch at home. It' is a simple job with the right tools and experience can make the job quick and easy. Set aside $2K for a rainy day. This will not be free on a 2008.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I suggest you use the clutch until it fails. Many have gone a long way on the stock clutch in a stock car. Driving habits have a lot to do with it but if you baby the car because you are worried about the clutch, you will miss the reason you bought the car in the first place. Only you can determine if you can replace a clutch at home. It' is a simple job with the right tools and experience can make the job quick and easy. Set aside $2K for a rainy day. This will not be free on a 2008.

^^^This.

Mine lasted almost 23k miles under spirited street, strip, and track driving with a pulley, intake, and tune on stock tires. If you want it to last: avoid stop and go city traffic, don't slip the clutch (treat it like a light switch - off and on), drive with traction control OFF, don't use traction control to help launch the car on the street, don't let your wife take off from a stop in third gear (multiple times), and don't mod the engine. I am certain that all of the above contributed to clutch failure in my car. I believe that heat kills the stock 07-09 clutch and flywheel.

If you want to really enjoy the car, mod away, drive it like you stole it, and replace the clutch with an aftermarket unit when it fails. My Spec is awesome!

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Sounds good! I'll be sure to not let anybody take off from 3rd gear ;).

It's gonna be a fun car, I can't wait to have it in my hands!!!

Thanks for the replies everybody :).

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Mine lasted 16,000 miles on intake and tune only. I had Ford replace it under warrenty. I been at 600+HP since no problems!!

RedZR

Established Member
I was worried about the exact same thing when I purchased my 9,000 mile 2008 last year. Before buying the car I tested it and it acted exactly the way the manual said it would (sudden engagement, slight shudder upon low rpm release and the hissing sound when clutching). I also did the slip test in 5th gear and the clutch seemed tune.

I have driven it 3,000 miles since then and it has not changed- still acts fine (knocking on wood) but I have put a little aside in case it should ever need replaced (I plan to go with the RXT) and I found a local shop that I trust.

My advice it test the heck out of it before buying and if it acts ok buy the car. These things are way too much fun to not buy because of a replacement item that *might* fail before its time.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread