2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Shelby GT500

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Dodge Challenger vs. Shelby GT500

$40,095 vs. $41,930 (I'm not sure if that includes the tax, so we'll say $43,230)
425 hp vs. 500hp
Gas Guzzler tax
$2100 vs. $1300
Auto vs. 6 speed Manual

This is interesting information. The $38k MSRP they were talking about was before they added in the GG tax. The Challenger being slapped as a Tier 4 gas guzzler means one thing: it's going to weigh a TON. The $2100 guzzler tax means it gets between 18.5 and 19.5 on the combined cycle. The car will definitely weigh over 4000 lbs. By how much remains to be seen, but it's looking like it will be at least 2-300 pounds heavier than a GT500. A 425hp 6.1L Charger SRT8 receives the same penalty, and that car weighs 4160. I'd assume this will be the same.

So essentially you have a car with 75 less horsepower and several hundred more pounds for virtually the same price.

In the 2 door Muscle car battle, I'd say Ford is well ahead on this one. The GT500 will be a LOT faster than a standard Challenger SRT8.

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
Expect comparable ADM's as well. Although the Chrysler may be higher right off the bat.

Fuerza

Established Member
That a massive for that car to weight over 4k lbs. The 4 door Charger SRT8 weighs 4160 pounds. How does a car with 2 less doors, I would think, a smaller seating capacity weigh so much?

FiaCobra

Established Member
Holy smokes!! $2100 gas guzzler? That sucks ass!!

Bad timing with the gas situation now with all these nice cars coming out. These cars should've hit the streets in early 00's. Damn....

I'm still looking forward to seeing these on the roads.....hopefully the Camaro gets built.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
what about this....

gt500 - 3850/440 ~ 8.75 $43320

charger - 4160/370 ~ 11.24 $40095

bullitt - 3500/288 ~ 12.15 $31075

the only one missing is the ls3 camaro? this camaro will be very impressive going by early testing!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If it weighs as much as you are saying then it will weigh more than the Charger. I just can't see that.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You have me on that one. Is the final overall gear ratio different? Maybe it has a lower overall ratio.

-Jeff

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
I think I've read that Chrysler has put out the word to dealers to not tack on an ADM. Whether that will happen remains to be seen. A couple of buyers are reporting MSRP deals on their orders. Dealers tried ADMs on SRT8 300's and that didn't work out well. If the dealers can have the discipline to not put on ADMs it will make Ford dealers look like total d***s. Looks like the Challenger will be mass produced with no pretense of limited availability therefore no justification for overpaying. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If nothing else, at least Chrysler has made the comment that they do not approve of the ADM's. Ford's real response was pretty much "it is up to the dealer".

-Jeff

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
If it weighs as much as you are saying then it will weigh more than the Charger. I just can't see that.

It probably won't weigh more, but about the same. It's built on the LX platform and carries the identical engine, though it looks a little larger physically, so weight should be comparable. This makes sense given the Tier 4 fuel status. If the car weighed 3800 or 3900 it would be able to get over 19.5. The supercharged DOHC 4v 5.4 is not a fuel efficient engine and even lugging around 3900 pounds it can do it.

If nothing else, at least Chrysler has made the comment that they do not approve of the ADM's. Ford's real response was pretty much "it is up to the dealer".

Because it is. Dodge dealers had no problem asking well over sticker for the first SRT-10s, until they realized nobody wanted them. They'll be doing the same with the Challenger. We'll see how big the market for the Challenger is. It's a nice car and it's good looking, but I think it's a bit more niche than the GT500.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
That a massive for that car to weight over 4k lbs. The 4 door Charger SRT8 weighs 4160 pounds. How does a car with 2 less doors, I would think, a smaller seating capacity weigh so much?

Cars are heavy. Pure and simple. The list of sub-3500 pound cars is dwindling extremely fast. Government safety regs, airbags, A/C, stereos, big wheels, tires, brakes etc all add weight.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Cars are heavy. Pure and simple. The list of sub-3500 pound cars is dwindling extremely fast. Government safety regs, airbags, A/C, stereos, big wheels, tires, brakes etc all add weight.

I am going to build me a Smart Car with a Busa motor and turbo. LOL

Just kidding.

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
I like that you can get a moonroof for around 900 and their Nav/info system is only $890. Plus, the Challenger gives you a lot of other goodies we don't get on the GT500. I think it's priced right at 38K for a no option SRT8 Auto. I understand why they are limiting the color choices to three, but will wait for more color choices and the 6 speed manual later. Also want to see what the convertible looks like, but am leaning towards a Camaro Vert and Challenger Coupe.

chuckstang

Established Member
I heard from the Boston auto show it will have only a 6speed available first year?
Also I heard 410 gears in the rear which would be the reason for the poor gas mileage

chuckstang

Established Member
We cant forget either, mod for mod, GT500 only gets better, much better performing that this Chryco car

Users who are viewing this thread