2010 GT500 5yr lookback

DaFreak

Established Member
Hard to believe 1/2 a decade goes by like that but wanted to reflect on my first ever Mustang purchase. 5yrs ago this car was the king of HP without breaking a sweat, the new body style and bad ass mod potential was unrivaled. I had to have it. Depspite never doing so before, I found myself installing hi performance motor, suspension, shifting, cooling, interior and exterior mods. I got to do things like install a new heat exchanger, grind on my own supercharger, change the sound of my exhaust tone and get an air bag singed by Carroll himself. I could go on but I will sum it up as the best 5 car yrs ever. Would not change a thing and now eyeballing the top dog 2020 Mustang to do it all over again ;)

Cherish your ride all,
Jeff

What I forgot to say: wether we are talking about PIR hotlaps, woodburn 1320's, road trips or street teasers this car has always delivered. Keep er rolling Ford!

Last edited:

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Hard to believe mine is 6 years old now. I got it back when you didn't even see many 2010 Mustang GTs on the street; and got a lot of attention also.

It's been fun but I've decided it's time to demod and trade in for a vert. I miss having one and if my current 2010 was a vert, I wouldn't think about getting rid of it anytime soon.

SirShaun

Established Member
I decided to drive my 2010 to work today as it was a Holiday for some and traffic wasn't bad. Maybe it's the really loud exhaust, the menacing appearance, or the Shelby/Cobra badges. It still amazes me how people treat and react to it on the road. Leaving every stop light, everyone hangs back. Cruising down a 4 lane interstate, not a car to my left or right the majority of the time, but traffic in front of me and behind me. As if other people are admiring her as much as I do.

Rolling into the throttle in 4th, on the stock goodyears, in 20 degree weather, getting sideways at 60+mph quickly reminded me I have 700whp and she is one beast I have yet to tame.

I am hurting more than my car at the moment. When I broke the rear and the tire got into the quarter panel, it took the paint off on the inner front wheel well and browned the stripe a little. It kills me to know it's not perfect anymore and needs some slight repair.

At the same time, I can't wait to get that fixed, add a WOT Box, MGW GEN 2 Shifter, upgrade the clutch and give the track another go.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I hear ya man! Its been an 11 months of ownership for me and ive gone through every car guy emotion that I could possibly be subjected to. I remember the elation of finally getting the keys in my hand and firing her up as mine. I remember the frustration with having my car down for trans work for a few weeks, then over a month and a half for a misfire that took forever to figure out. I remember the nervousness installing my Stage 1 goodies, the butterflies before my first run down a dragstrip. I remember the absolute heartbreak of seeing my car torn up after a fateful run in with a poorly built up GT-R. Dejection after 2 more months rolled by as I scraped the cash together for parts and body work to fix her back up.

Finally, I am experiencing the jubilation of having my car done, stage 3 go fast parts on and an upcoming trip down my first 1/4 track. Its kind of like when you find a great woman; sometimes... you just know she's the one. My GT500 was no different for me.

These incredible machines are meant to be driven, enjoyed and tinkered with. with any luck, year 5 for me will be mostly joy, and less heartbreak. Knock on wood. :) :D

Last edited:

tangermean

Established Member
Woohoo! I joined this club August of last year! I could not justify spending $7,000 more for the 2011 they had sitting on the lot with the same mileage.

I'm happy with my purchase and don't regret getting the "bastard" year model.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Hard to believe 1/2 a decade goes by like that but wanted to reflect on my first ever Mustang purchase. 5yrs ago this car was the king of HP without breaking a sweat, the new body style and bad ass mod potential was unrivaled. I had to have it. Depspite never doing so before, I found myself installing hi performance motor, suspension, shifting, cooling, interior and exterior mods. I got to do things like install a new heat exchanger, grind on my own supercharger, change the sound of my exhaust tone and get an air bag singed by Carroll himself. I could go on but I will sum it up as the best 5 car yrs ever. Would not change a thing and now eyeballing the top dog 2020 Mustang to do it all over again ;)

Cherish your ride all,
Jeff

What I forgot to say: wether we are talking about PIR hotlaps, woodburn 1320's, road trips or street teasers this car has always delivered. Keep er rolling Ford!

Surprised I haven't seen you at PIR before. How does your car do there by the way?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I love my '10 too...but it was a pain in the ass to find a 3" exhaust system I liked

LOL, ain't that the truth! Only true 10'ers will understand the struggles of finding a complete exhaust set up that will fit from front to back.... :lol:

I have Kooks long tubes so I went with their H-pipe and the Shelby Super Snake 3" cat back which I had to modify to fit because they stopped making it in 09 and didn't come out with another 3" kit until 11'... :rolleyes:

2010 Red&white

Established Member
I remember the day in May of 2009 I ordered my 2010 and had her delivered October 1 , 2009. The mods started after 435 miles on the odometer and haven't stopped yet. The iron block is going strong as I approach 1100 rwhp and plan on even more. The 2010 Model is a special year and I plan on keeping her.

tktlwyr

Established Member
LOL, ain't that the truth! Only true 10'ers will understand the struggles of finding a complete exhaust set up that will fit from front to back.... :lol:

I have Kooks long tubes so I went with their H-pipe and the Shelby Super Snake 3" cat back which I had to modify to fit because they stopped making it in 09 and didn't come out with another 3" kit until 11'... :rolleyes:

I did 1 7/8 Kooks w/ 3" - 2 3/4" ORX, into Lethal 2 3/4" over the axle pipes into '11 FRP/SVT mufflers. Didn't think about clamps, though. LOL We welded it in, but I just bought some V-bands to remedy that issue. I went straight to the 2 3/4" because I read about 3" catback issues and wanted a muffler that was somewhat docile since I drive the car daily. I'm very happy with the sound.

BTW, also a South Jersey boy, but I exiled myself 30 years ago. Grew up mainly in the Merchantville/Pensauken area.

Users who are viewing this thread